Wanting to do a Butt got a few questions ...

Hank H

TVWBB Member
Howdy All;

Finally got a burn done in my Mini... yea!!!!

Now I'd like to do a Boston Butt (aka shoulder roast
Blade IN),
Would someone be kind enough to give me some idea
of temps and time to do ... say, a 6 pounder...?

Thanks much,

hank

Last edited:
Hey hank! Sound like you're cruisin!

My pork butts cook best at 250-275. Cook em to internal temp of 160 directly on the grate. If you want you can spritz with AJ every hour or two. Then wrap in HD foil with a lil apple juice until internal temp hits 200, or until the bone slides out easy peesy. I like to save the au jus /AJ mix from the foil to toss pulled meat in. After unfoiling put butt back on grate to firm bark up for another 30 minutes. After that rewrap in foil and towel in cooler and rest for 1-2 hours. That will give you the best results IMO.

Cook time at 250-275 prob 8 hours ish for 6lber---- of course with BBQ, its done when its done lol. You might have to add more coals for that long of a cook.... Use lump or Stubbs natural to keep ash build up down. You might want to get a charcoal ring to help efficiency as well. Anxious to hear how it goes!

Last edited:
I highly suggest cooking a Boston Butt on the mini, I'm doing my 3rd butt on it today, I started the smoker up just after 3am and got the butt on around 4. I cook mine around 225-250.

I don't like to do the texas crutch on mine as I like a crunchy bark. 1st cook was a 12hr and 2nd was a 12 1/2hr cook, that is what you're looking at without using the crutch.

Curious TJ---- at what point have you had to refuel? Do you have a SJS or sjg? Charcoal ring? What are you using for fuel?

Howdy All;

Thanks for the recommendations...
So, basicly, I'm lookin' at 2 hours per pound
at 250* to 275*.

RG, Howdy;
Yea, this thing took off like a rocket when I did the burn-in,
Loaded with Lump (RO), did a 'minion' start, left the bottom
and top vents wide open .... shot right up to 475* :rolleyes:
took awhile for the temp. to come down. Had to close everything
and choke it like I was goin' to kill it.... Made a hashbrown, greenchili,
ham and onion Fatty then threw the rest of the mini ham in as well.
Gave it all 3 hours ... internal temps were 180 when I took them out and
shared them with the rest of the folks here at the RV Park... No one
got sick so I reckon I did fair to middlin' ..... ;)

hank

Well that's the one thing I don't like about how small the mini is on the bottom, for some reason around the 6hr mark I actually have to empty the bottom because it is full to the grate of ash. Not sure if anyone else has this issue but I have had to all three times I have done a boston butt. I usually have to throw briquettes in 3 or so times. Wind or me is a big factor since it's the gold edition, if it's somewhat windy I try to set up a barrier for the wind but it still is effected since the dampers are on the sides. I'm thinking a charcoal ring will help me with a nice slow burn, so that's what I'm going to make this week.

You'll get a lot less ash with lump than with briquettes...especally helpful with the mini.

Well that's the one thing I don't like about how small the mini is on the bottom, for some reason around the 6hr mark I actually have to empty the bottom because it is full to the grate of ash. Not sure if anyone else has this issue but I have had to all three times I have done a boston butt. I usually have to throw briquettes in 3 or so times. Wind or me is a big factor since it's the gold edition, if it's somewhat windy I try to set up a barrier for the wind but it still is effected since the dampers are on the sides. I'm thinking a charcoal ring will help me with a nice slow burn, so that's what I'm going to make this week.

You'll get a lot less ash with lump than with briquettes...especally helpful with the mini.

So I've heard, as soon as I find someone in the area that sells Royal Oak that's what I'm going to switch over to with my kettle and Mini smoker. I've heard good things about their product.

I say only because I recently switched over. You can get lump at Walmart, home depot, lowes, Smart and Final, Mexican supermarkets, etc. RO at Walmart but HD has Cowboy Brand and its ANY lump is better than briquettes, I think.

Good luck with that butt. I'm right now stuck on doing big wide wide Beef Ribs myself. Dino bones they're called, for obvious reasons.

I have gotten 7-8hours out of one full load of RO lump on my SJS. I do not have a charcoal ring though. Get some lump TJ or get Stubbs natural briquettes from lowes, they have less ash too....

Hank---- that fatty sounds purdy good! Keep us update when you decide to cook the butt!

Back