Charcoal Ring question

Robert Clark

TVWBB Pro
Why is the charcoal ring so important in the Mini WSM?

Never really gave it a thought in the 18.5 WSM. Just used it cause it was there.

So, what does the ring accomplish?

Robert, I'm just guessing here, and this is all based on my experiences between a Brinkmann smoker (which doesn't have a charcoal ring) and the WSM. The charcoal ring seems to help with air circulation (oxygen) between the charcoal bowl and the burning coals. That along with the bottom vent settings allow you to control the heat. I was never able to really do this on the Brinkmann. I did all kinds of mods to the Brinkmann to try and make it like a WSM and was never able to really control the temperature with any success. Again, this is only my guess based on my non WSM experience.

Please don't take my comments too seriously, as I've only been cooking for about a month, and only cooked on my Mini WSM 3 or 4 times; the Mini WSM is my only smoker, and I've never used a real 18.5 or 22" WSM... Having said that...

The first cook I did on my mini was good, but I found it a little difficult to control the temperature, especially to get it up to more than about 215 degrees. Now this was the absolute first time I'd ever cooked on a smoker, again, keep that in mind.

I was having a lot of fun making the mini WSM, so naturally I wanted to make a charcoal ring anyway... just for the fun of it. Once it was made, I used it on my next cook, and started using the Minion method. Minion starting is a lot easier with a charcoal ring, and I found that the burn was very consistent and easy to control. For practice and as an experiment, I let the cooker using the Minion method one evening, and just left it burning slowly overnight. It had gone out by the morning, and I didn't monitor the temperatures at all since lighting it, but absolutely all of the briquettes had burned, I was left with 100% fine grey ash... I was pretty impressed, and I think the basket made that possible.

In short... in my (very) limited experience, a basket makes for a more 'controlled' burn.

I'm using a SJG by the way.

Thanks Robert, I'm going to make one this week hopefully, plus I think I may cut out the bottom like a lot of people do. I went by Steve's idea over at bbqbros.net and drilled a lot of holes on the bottom of the pot. One reason I want to cut it out is that by still having the bottom of the pot there it can really be a pain when trying to get a big load of briquettes to fit with chunks of wood. Second reason is to allow more heat through faster if I'm doing a higher heat cook with chicken. I'm right now cooking my third boston butt cook and I'm loving this little guy. I think I may make another one this winter.

If you are using the SJS, a charcoal ring made of stovepipe works very well for control of burn. I fit mine exactly the size of the charcoal grate and the same height as the bottom of my pot, and just riveted it to hold its size. It will rust and burn out eventually, but is very economical to replace and easy to make. I have been able to run 10 hours on a load and still had fuel left over. This directs all incoming air onto the fuel for better combustion.

I use a SJS and don't use a ring. I've had no problems either holding temps or completing a burn. IMHO with the SJG having the vents on the side would indicate a greater need for a ring.

Back