cleaning

Tony GM

I've notice the inside of the smoker gets dirty very quickly, should i be concerned about cleaning it often i'm sure it doesn't affect the cook much but i don't want it to rust prematurely.

The porcelain coating is excellent protection against rusting, and if anything, a layer of "patina" on the inside would only add more protection (not to mention, character). I generally don't worry about the inside of the cooker unless there's a buildup that looks like it might start flaking off - at which point I use a brass wire brush to remove anything that might get loose and fall onto the food.

Larry and I look at it the same. The main thing I worry about is the lid. You need to keep the rim pretty clean (the lid and the mid section) or you will go out there one day and not be able to get you lid off (seriously). I use some paper towel and some white vinegar when the cooker is warm and that works real well. I also check the lid for anything that will flake off and drop on the food (yuck!).

The middle section, I spray off with a hose a couple times a year but I've never scrubbed it with anything other than a nylon cleaning brush - just to get any loose stuff.

The charcoal bowl gets brushed out as well.

All in all, I haven't spent more than 10 minutes a few times a year "cleaning" the inside of my WSM.

I clean mine the same way Jerry does. However, it the WSM sits for a while you might find mold growing on the inside of the WSM. When this happens I fill the charcoal ring up with lump, and light her up. I then open all of the vents and do high heat burn, which takes care of the problem.

thanks guys i really appreciate the advice. the bullet has worked great for me the best birthday gift i ever got.

Back