Anyone else have a grilling "tool box"?

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
What's in yours?

Mine:

Flip tops: clips, note pad, pencil, lighter/matches, hand sanitizer, bottle opener, extra camera memory card, knife, LED light that clips on the brim of a baseball cap.

Top compartment: Thermometers, probes, timers, large LED light.

Bottom compartment: Tongs, spatula, grill light, apron, trash bags, coal shovel, hot pads, injector, Tbs/tsp, etc.

Anything I'm missing?

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Me too Don. I also keep some various rubs and cans of apple juice in my tool box. Good to have just in case I forget something.

No tool box,but got a couple of those plastic drawer units from wally world,and keep them on either side of my gasser. The grill is right outside the back door ,which is ten feet from the kitchen. I keep cleaning supplies in one drawer;tongs,remote thermometer and other cooking implements in another;rib rack,and other large utensils in another;and,yes,even a "junk" drawer,for everything else I might need. I'm going to build an outdoor "kitchen" around my gasser,OTS,and WSM next month and the drawer units will be included also.

I use several of those Rubbermaid plastic bins with lids you can get at most any store to hold my grilling and smoking tools. Inside those, I might have smaller plastic boxes for specific items and their stuff (like my Stoker and the wireless bridge, temp probes, etc.) The bins are nice because they stack well and are weatherproof.

Phil, keep us informed on the outdoor kitchen project! I would love to see what you come up with; I have been wanting to do something similar but I haven't gotten past the dreaming stage!

Originally posted by Tom Burrus:
I use several of those Rubbermaid plastic bins with lids you can get at most any store to hold my grilling and smoking tools. Inside those, I might have smaller plastic boxes for specific items and their stuff (like my Stoker and the wireless bridge, temp probes, etc.) The bins are nice because they stack well and are weatherproof.

I use the bins as well. I keep all my BBQ and grilling stuff in em. I even keep my smoke wood in one so it stay's nice and dry.

I have a large rubbermaid bin on the deck for charcoal, newspaper, wood chip/chunks. Inside, my wife allowed me to have an entire large drawer just for my bbq equipment: thermometers, tongs, gloves, headlamp etc. I'm thinking I'd like a toolbox like that though. That way I could just pick it up and walk outside with everything I need. Also, I hate going to someone's house to help them cook and not having my own equipment. Cool idea.

don, i have one of those rolling boxes that i was gonna use for tools but just don't use it. thanks for the great idea ! hope ya don't mind if i "borrow" yer idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BriceB:
That way I could just pick it up and walk outside with everything I need. Also, I hate going to someone's house to help them cook and not having my own equipment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The exact two reasons I keep all my stuff in a tool box. So convenient!

wsmsmile8gm.gif

It's a little less manly, but I use a basket. I live in a third floor apartment, so I have to take everything but the charcoal out with me whenever I grill.

Contents:
paper towels
foil
placemats
Chef's knife
utility knife
salt
pepper
basting brush
mop
battery lantern
probe thermometer
instant read thermometer
tongs
secret spice mix for ribeye
secret spice mix for chicken
leftover rubs
forks and steak knives
bamboo skewers

If I'm going down to cook and eat steak, all I have to add is meat and plates. There are a few more things I have to take along when firing up the smoker.

I have been meaning to go to the store and get a couple of bins. My little cabinet I keep my stuff in keeps getting smaller for some reason. lol.

My spice cabinet is a mess, any suggestion on organizing that? It wouldn't be that bad if everything was the same size.

I don't have a box, although, I really should get one. I like the idea. Right now, I sorta have...a wall. *LOL* It's great when I'm grilling out in front of the garage with one of the Jumbo Joe's, but it's not overly functional when I'm usin' Mean Green out on the back spread.

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

haha Hayden! Look at your poor screwdrivers being crowded out in the lower left hand corner.

I love this post!!!

Tried using toolbox in past, my tongs and untensils are just too long. Bins get too messy. Still looking for a solution.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TimW:
haha Hayden! Look at your poor screwdrivers being crowded out in the lower left hand corner.

I love this post!!!

Tried using toolbox in past, my tongs and untensils are just too long. Bins get too messy. Still looking for a solution. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL What can I say. I devoted the largest amount of space for the tools that get the most use. I live in a townhouse with a 14x20' deck off the kitchen. On the one side, I have a 6'6" high privacy fence because the one neighbors deck is literally a foot away from mine. When I grill, I want to do so in relative privacy, you know? Anyway. Next time I go to stain the deck, I might hang a piece of pegboard like the one in the garage, on that privacy fence behind the grill. That way I could hang/store a lot of my commonly used tools right there by the grill. When I get my second Performer (soon...real soon), I'll virtually have my own kitchen out there.

I have an extra empty toolbox and my barbecue tools are spread all around.... hmm... why couldn't I have thought about that earlier! I guess I now have a BBQ toolbox.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Solak:
I have been meaning to go to the store and get a couple of bins. My little cabinet I keep my stuff in keeps getting smaller for some reason. lol.

My spice cabinet is a mess, any suggestion on organizing that? It wouldn't be that bad if everything was the same size. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tiered spice rack. I STILL have more spiced than the rack accommodates, but it helps significantly regardless.

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

This is fantastic advice. I'm off to Home Depot and the auto parts store to get a few accessories. Assembling the bullet today and will definitely do some pics of the cook.
You guys are super helpful.

Back