instant read therm help

Damon, I use an all plastic(without the chrome accents) Taylor-it also has a more narrow point for quick reads. It isn't a thermopen but gets the job done. $12-14.

With the cheap "instant reads", it may be 30-60 seconds or more to get a temp. They're accurate enough, but instant they're not. "Pre-heat" them to a temp you estimate to be close to the current meat temp by sticking the probe through your top vent until it hits 130+. Then, whip off the lid and jam the probe into the meat. If you've guesstimated correctly, the "instant" thermo now only needs to settle in 10-15° from its pre-heated state, rather than the 60 or 70° from ambient outside temp. HTH.

Taylor makes good instant read thermometers.

The more expensive ones give you more bells and whistles but the mechanics for measuring the temperature is the same.

I'd pick Taylor over the other brands.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> but the mechanics for measuring the temperature is the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The inexpensive ones anyway.

I disagree that the mechanics are the same. Thermocouple thermometers are quicker -- much quicker -- than thermistor therms. Thermistor therms require 1/8-inch probes (at least) and are not 'instant', as Doug notes. They usually take 20 seconds or more to hit temp. You can check how long yours takes by turning it on, letting it hit room temp, then immersing in a cup of ice water and clocking how long it takes to hit 32. Then you'll know how long you need to wait at least when checking meat.

Most thermistor therms require insertion of at least slightly over 1/2-inch to be accurate so keep that in mind.

Thermocouple therms can use much thinner probes and need only 1/4-inch insertion. They can it temp in less than 4 seconds. That's what you pay for.

Thermistors can certainly be just fine. Just know the time necessary to hit temp, make sure insertion depth is sufficient, and be careful of the point where the probe in connected to the readout, and of the readout itself. Many don't handle moisture well in those spots and quickly 'fry'.

I agree with Ray about the thermapens. They are expensive but to me well worth the money. I have bought many cheap ones that were pure junk.
I have a need for speed. JMHO

Back