SJG SJS Differences

Also, Is it possible to indirectly cook chicken parts on this small grill?

It is too small to cook a whole chicken correct?

The SJS has a single vent on the bottom of the bowl and no lid holder, whereas the SJG has side-mounted vents and a lid holder. There's been plenty of discussion on this forum about the pros and cons of each. I have an SJS and have been pretty happy with it. It's a very small grill, so you can't set up a very big indirect zone. Having said that, people have smoked on the Smokey Joe, but the Gold's side-mounted vents seem to work better for that so I haven't tried it.

-Mark.

Hi James,

I have only used a Smokey Joe Silver. So, I can't tell you anything about the Smokey Joe Gold.

I've had some pretty good success using indirect smoking with my SJS. One must remember that the Smokey Joe Silver kettles are very tiny kettles. So, the size/shape/quantity of what can be cooked indirect is very limited. The maximum thickness of of items to be cooked/smoked is just a shade over 3 inches thick.

Some additional information about how I have used Smokey Joe Silver to barbecue a variety of meats look here.

Love those Smokey Joes!

###

The best way to set up an SJS/SJG for indirect grilling is to put a small rectangular drip pan in the middle of the grill, on the charcoal grate, and to make two side piles of charcoal, equivalent in size. If you're using an SJG, do it so that the coals are perpendicular to the side air vents, not against them: doing this will ensure that you get a proper convection going once you put the lid on.

My rationale for indirect cooking down the centre of the grill is that, basically, that gives you the most room with the dome of the lid directly above your meat. You could lump all the coals to one side and grill on the opposite side, but because the grills are so small, chances are that your food will be touching the lid.

Back