SJ one touch vent mod - confused

Christian

Hi there,

I live in Europe and recently purchased a Smokey Joe Premium (14,5" with no bottom but side vents similar to the Gold available in the US) to complement my 22,5" OTG;

I wasn`t satisfied with temperature achieved and controlability, so I read about this mod using one touch 18,5" blades SJP mod

I ordered a set of blades for 18,5" OTG, but they are way to big. Now I found out that there was a 18,5" SJ in the US - is this the one shown in the link above ? So putting a one touch system in 14,5" SJ is impossible, or are there smaller blades available from Weber ?

Thanks and Cheers from Austria
Christian

Weber don't do a one touch version of the SJ. As you have read, people have added the one touch mechanism to the SJP (P for Platinum) because it's 18.5", but it won't fit the smaller SJs. The only vent mod for the SJG seems to be to add a bottom vent, like the SJS has.

-Mark.

I did the bottom vent mod to one SJP and the One Touch sweeper mod to another. My purpose was just as you described, to help sustain higher temps, not for the cleaning. For that, I just pick up the SJ and dump it. The vent mod is pretty easy. the hardest part is finding the exact center of the SJ charcoal bowl.

Pat

Hi folks,

thanks for your help. So it seems my mistake was the assumption all SJs are 14,5", making me wonder why the OTS won`t fit.

Changing my plans I will rather go for inlet vanes, guiding the air from the side vents to below the coal grate, or I will use the damper from the SJ silver

Cheers
Christian

Cool website and mod pictures George. I think it would be just as easy to just add a bottom vent with three holes.

wellllll, what i like about this design is that it would be less prone to plugging up with ash like the original is prone to do.

Back