Chicken drippings outing charcoal

Lennard Kong

TVWBB Member
Hello,

I've been doing a lot of Roadside Chicken lately on my Silver.

However I do find often the drippings will out a good bit of the charcoal.

Any suggestions apart from having to put the chicken on one side only ?

Thanks,

L

I usually do roadside indirect, but as close to the coals as possible, for the very reason you mentioned. I get a super hot fire with lump, so I can still go indirect but get real good heat to get the delicious roadside crust. Do you brush it on or are you using a squirt bottle approach? I use a paint brush for mine, so I can still pick up a lot of juice with each dip into the basin, but not so much that it is really running off the birds.

I lay down a single layer of charcoal across the entire charcoal grate for direct cooking. I then adjust the vents to keep the grill between 350 and 400 degrees. This is what I do:

I will put the chicken on skin side up and baste and let it cook for about 10 minutes, then flip it on the same part of the grill and baste again and let it cook for about 7 minutes. Then when it is time to flip it back to skin side up, I move it to a new part of the grate. This way I constantly have fresh charcoal that I'm cooking over without burning up the skin in the process. I actually like the fact that the coals get doused a little as it keeps my temperature in manageable range especially when cooking skin side down. I always cook with the cover on to prevent flare ups.

What I will often do is cook with the chicken only on half of the cooking grate. I will also build a fire on just half of the charcoal grate with a disposable pan on the non fire side. When it is time to baste I will spin the cooking grate so the meat is on the indirect side. I will baste there so the majority of the run-off runs into a disposable pan. Once I have basted all pieces I will spin the cooking grate and the birds back over the fire.

Back