Making the Mini Look Like a Real WSM

RCBaughn

TVWBB Super Fan
Has anyone taken the bottom section off a Weber Smokey Joe Silver and inverted it to use as a top? That would give it the perfectly round dome and also a bunch extra room to stick on a really big Boston butt. Really all it would take it a few screw covers to plug up the three legs bolt holes and putting a handle somewhere on it, maybe a wider one over the air flow adjuster since it's dead center on the top. Think that would make one of these things looks awesome. Maybe someone can score one off Craigslist for free or super cheap and try it out! I know if I can find a free one I'ma give it a go.

Several have used the SJS bottom for the top. I made one by cutting the top of the kettle rim off, so the SJS bottom will slip over the kettle top, then used a genie garage door handle for the handle. Others have attached tabs, then just set the SJS bottom on top of the unmodified kettle. The best looking Mini is made using the new model 18.5 WSM water pan as the lid, then adding a handle and 2 or 3 vents. Suggest that you look at posts on the original thread, posts number 898, 916, and 959, which is the post by Stu who uses the water pan modification. His mod involves lots of work, but looks great. I have been using the one with the SJS top for the bottom for 3 years, it works great, but recently built another using ta new model water pan, ordered from Weber, believe the cost was $19. Any of these models allow the grill to be mounted at the very top of the kettle and you pick up about 3" of clearance, vs the SJS lid.

Larry Watkins/LDEAN

Thanks Larry! I am heading over there to look at that thread right now! Do you have any pictures of the builds or the finished products?

Last edited:
Checked on the replacement water pans and they are $30 plus shipping now on Amazon and eBay. Even more from some sellers. Looks like I'ma be stuck with a factory lid till I can run across a used one or a really great deal. I was hoping the dern things would be dirt cheap since they are little more than bowls.

Back