Newbee from Bradenton FL

Pete Putman

I'm Pete Putman from Bradenton Florida.

My sons gave me a WSM for my birthday and I've been trying to get the hang of things. I was a little disappointed in my first effort at baby back ribs, but my wife put them in a crock pot for a few hours and they are delicious. I followed a recipe from a competitive cooker's book and I guess I need to cook them a little longer next time and reduce the amount of wood. They tasted a little too smokey.

I'm enjoying searching the forum for new ideas and I'm excited about learning how to cook.

Pete

hiya pete ! i found out the hard way that you only need a lttle smokewood to flavor the meat....in fact a lot of times just the charcoal is enough by itself.
but even "bad" BBQ tastes pretty good. and that was smart , throwin the ribs in the slow cooker. nothing wrong with a little improvisation !
and if you want something to build your BBQ confidence , get a fresh , bone in , pork shoulder....rub that baby with any good spice rub and smoke that thing for 8 or 9 hours and make you some killer pulled pork. it is easy and people love it !

Last edited:
Welcome Pete, I have dozens of ribs under my belt and i'm still working on fine tining the Smoke. Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't. Either way, Home Smoked Ribs are always delicious. The more you practice, they better you get. Welcome Aboard. I look forward to seeing some Pictures in the Photo Gallery.

Back