crimping the imusa pot?

Y Falls

new guy here...cant wait to finish my mini wsm! only problem, im too cheap to spend the $40 on a pot on amazon, when they can be had for half the price at target! the only problem, the pot i picked up from my local target has a lip that is slightly larger than my SJS lid (it was the only one in stock w/in a 20 mile radius from me).

did some research and read guys crimping the lip w/ a c clamp and paint sticks. does one just slip a painstick under the lip, then clamp down...than do that a ton of times around the lip? just wondering the process....thanks guys, i'll be posting pics of my smoker in the coming weeks..that is, once i figure out this slight problem!

Find a metalworking shop and let them run it through their crimper. Quick and easy and will look much better.

Well, if I am gojng to do that, might as well just pick up the pot from amazon as I'm sure I will be charged more than $10 to do that.

I'm a purist when it comes to modding stuff, I like to do as much as I can myself! Good looking out though, thanks for the suggestion.

After thinking about this, I don't know that I would want to crimp pot. That could allow air in through the crimps since it won't fit tight.

I ordered my pot from Amazon about 3 or 4 weeks ago and it fits perfectly. I don't remember paying more than $30, but I do remember driving to every Target and Walmart in the area trying to find one to fit that wouldn't need crimping. In the end I found one at Walmart that fitted, but the handles were a little too high which meant that the lid wouldn't rest on the lip.

I was so happy that the Amazon one fitted, I was tempted to order another one just in case the first got damaged.

Now I'm thinking that it would be nice to have a bigger smoker, and wondering why I didn't just by a WSM in the first place... though building it was great fun!

Y Falls - I replied to your private message on crimping the rim. If you don't see anything in a while I'll post more details here. I can't figure out the private messaging using iOS. Each time I hit submit message nothing ever appears in my sent folder.

got it, thanks adam! wife and I just picked up a condo, so a few projects ahead of the mini, but i'll start a thread of my built and let y'all know how it turns out!

yep, but unfortunately...no longer in stock. picked up another pot at target today (didnt have my lid to measure) and it didnt fit...

Back