Hello from Michigan

Wayne Thompson

I got my WSM in late July and have used it several times. I just got around to posting on this site. I couldn't be happier. It takes the guess work out of smoking meet and holding a steady temperature. Everything I have smoked has come out great thanks to the information on this site. Happy smokin' everyone!

Hi wayne. Welcome. What size WSM did you get? given your cooks so far, have you felt that you wish you had gotten a different size WSM? I want to get one, but I keep bouncing back and forth between the 18 and 22.

We have smoked mostly ribs and they have been great every time. The pork butts we smoked were also great. When I tried brisket the meat was awesome but the rub we used had too much pepper in it. The WSM did its job as far as the brisket coming out tender and moist. I will try a different rub next time and I know I will have great results once we correct the rub recipe.

Gabe

I got the 18 and have not had a problem with having enough cooking space. Most of the time it is my wife and me but at times I have cooked for up to 15 or 20 people with no problem. I went back and forth on which size to get as you are. I decided that the 18 would better fit my typical needs. I have not had a second thought about my decision. In my opinion, the 18 will work for most people unless you cook for very large groups often. I will say that when you put several ribs on the 18 you need to be creative to get them all in but so far we have managed. I am sure I could cook 8 full slabs if I ever need to.

Back