Hello from Ottawa

S Zambonin

Hi,

My name is Snadro and I live in Ottawa Ontario. I have a WSM which I bought this spring and have been using on an off all summer. I am really impressed with how the WSM smokes and holds it's temperature. I have tried pork butts (3 times), ribs, beef roasts, turkey and chicken.

The chicken did not turn out that well as the skin was gross and some of the meat had that "lighter fluid" taste to it even though I never ever use any fluid. I'm wondering if it is the lump charcoal + pecan smoke wood that I used.

I would love to do a briskette but I really do not want to stay up all night doing one as I would be too tired to enjoy it the next day.

Thanks
Sandro

welcome to the forum Sandro:wsm:
smokin' chicken or turkey produces some great tastin' bird, butt you gotta toss the skin... too rubbery!
Or crank up the heat to crisp the skin...

not sure about the lighter fluid tasting problem,
I use pecan now and then butt with Kingsford, and haven't come into the problem you've faced...

Anyway, hope your future cooks are all successful!

Hi, to a fellow Canuck. Welcome, and chicken is always tricky just for the reason you mention. I smoke my chicken in the WSM, always thighs because no other parts have enough fat. But after they're done I put them skin side down on a low grill for 3 - 5 minutes to crisp the skin. Some folks put it o the smoker, skin side down and remove the water pan, but I find using the grill less effort.

Enjoy the board.

Welcome! My first bird on the smoker turned out the same way. Like Jim said, the key to good bird skin is higher heat. I like to do mine at 325-350. That gives it a much better chance of being good. And here is a secret...When you start out with a chicken with thinner skin to begin with your results will be much better. I find that organic chicken has much thinner skin than a big name brand and will give much better results, especially in competition. There you have it...The two "secrets" to bite-through skin. High heat and oraganic air dried chicken.

Sandro, welcome aboard. A Maverick ET-732 will help you have a great night sleep so you can enjoy your briskette. We look forward to some pics of your cooks.:wsm:

Back