First smoke on Mini

J Hoke

TVWBB Pro
Tried out the new mini on Saturday. I have to say I am very surprised at how well it cooks. Did ribs, less than a whole rack St. Louis cut spares. Set the temp at 235 just below the grate which is 250-260 at the top vent. Held steady as a rock once the temp settled. Used a 9' foiled cake pan for water pan, which didn't please the wife all that much. I have a 12" stainless cake pan on the way, just couldn't wait. Also didn't have the charcoal ring yet. Have a stainless cake pan with no bottom on the way for that.

I put 3 vent dampers in the bottom section. Used the small ones from 18"wsm. Bottom vent in the Smokey Joe is no problem, even without covering it. Just left it closed. Drilled two 1/4" holes in tamale pot above grate level for temp and food probes. I used 1/8" brass pipe nipples for grommets.

Total cost of build may hit $120 with the pans, etc. For someone that doesn't need big capacity, or something just for fun, I don't think you can beat one of these little smokers. Don't know who originally came up with the idea and all the stuff, but great job!

Tried out the new mini on Saturday. I have to say I am very surprised at how well it cooks. Did ribs, less than a whole rack St. Louis cut spares. Set the temp at 235 just below the grate which is 250-260 at the top vent. Held steady as a rock once the temp settled. Used a 9' foiled cake pan for water pan, which didn't please the wife all that much. I have a 12" stainless cake pan on the way, just couldn't wait. Also didn't have the charcoal ring yet. Have a stainless cake pan with no bottom on the way for that.

I put 3 vent dampers in the bottom section. Used the small ones from 18"wsm. Bottom vent in the Smokey Joe is no problem, even without covering it. Just left it closed. Drilled two 1/4" holes in tamale pot above grate level for temp and food probes. I used 1/8" brass pipe nipples for grommets.

Total cost of build may hit $120 with the pans, etc. For someone that doesn't need big capacity, or something just for fun, I don't think you can beat one of these little smokers. Don't know who originally came up with the idea and all the stuff, but great job!

I love it for smoking small stuff spur of the moment. The mini gets up to temp quickly and stays stable for hours. And If I just want to smoke something for lunch it doesn't require a lot of charcoal or effort. I'm not sure who came up with the original idea, but it first appeared here at TVWBB by Larry Watkins... Thanks Larry!!!

Last edited:
Here are just few pictures. I used a 7440 grate for the grate under the water pan or flower pot base. It fits with a little persuasion. With both cooking grates it is very busy. I have a 12" cake pan to use for the water pan, but will have to see if it needs to be held off the grate just a little for the heat to rise since the cutout in the bottom of the pot is also 12"
IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

Last edited:
It is a 10"x3" bottomless cake pan or ring, stainless purchased from Amazon. I would suggest using a drill press for the holes.

I've been liking all these WSM Mini builds I'm seeing. I have a SJS and may give this a try. My only concern would be the charcoal ring. Where would I get some expanded steel. This cake pan idea looks like the best option to me. Thanks for sharing. I now think I'm going to try this mini build.

Last edited:
What is it that you've used for probe holes? I'm thinking of doing a new pot soon, and wondering if I can come up with something that looks a bit better than my NM/SE connector.

These are brass lamp repair nipples with brass nuts. Found them in, of course, the lamp repair section of a hardware store. I used the 3/4" and my temp probes will go through, no problem.

Try using stovepipe if you have the Silver. It has worked very well for me and is cheap and available at most hardware stores. Cut it to fit over the outside of the charcoal grate and rivet or screw it to hold its shape. Control is fantastic.

Back