UK WSM Onwers

Shane R

TVWBB Member
Was just wondering how many UK WSM owners there are out there ? Apart from myself and my freind Graham who live in the same town I haven't seen any others from the UK on here. It would be nice to hear from a few and see how they are getting on with the WSM.

Hi
Just happened to catch sight of this topic, I don't get on here much these days.
I don't use the WSM as much as I used to but I still love it.
Will be doing a hot smoked side of salmon tonight (and a slow cooked leg of pork overnight for Sunday lunch) but this isn't the norm !
I urge you to try the salmon - a supermarket, farmed side of salmon becomes something extraordinary.
The main thing for me is to make sure I don't run out of charcoal over the winter. I usually try a couple of bags of supermarket lump and then get a delivery once they go on offer. Didnt seem to this year because of the hopeless summer but I did once do a tesco.com delivery for two dozen bags of charcoal, my wife added some groceries later!
Good luck with the WSM, they are pretty under represented in the UK but that can be kind of fun. Friends think I'm obsessed - anyone with more than one bbq must be unhinged...
Someone on a forum said - as long as the artio is below one grill to every five pairs of your wife's shoes you're OK. Hmm, does that include flip flops?.....

There are a few UK people on here but like me they probably only drop in every so often.
Off the top of my head there was Morgan in London, Brett in Ireland, there was a chap North of me somewhere and another in Sussex I think.

Gary, most of the bbq'ing that takes place in the UK is what you would class as grilling and usually involves burning suasages and burgers over far to high heat and drinking lots of beer !! However there is a small minority who like to do the true bbq of low and slow. We cook mostly the same stuff as you do in the US but the main problems we have are getting the right cuts of meat (most butchers over here dont know what a Pork Butt is) and its a real problem getting hold of fuel in the winter months.

James, nice to hear from a fellow UK WSM fan, I have been into Weber bbq's for a number of years now and have had some good food off my 22" Platinum. A couple of years ago myself and a couple of freinds started with the bullet type smokers, I started out with a Pro Q which performed very poorly on the temp control so I lost heart a bit untill I got my WSM a couple of weeks ago. I am looking forward to some good cooks from it this year !!

Shane

Another UK owner here. We got ours last summer (based on the review of charcoal BBQs in the In Gear section of the Sunday Times) and have not looked back.

Smoking wise we have cooked numerous chickens all of which have tasted fantastic, the Christmas Turkey last year and also quite a few fish.

It's also seen a lot of action in "conventional mode" with the cooking grill placed on top of the fuel ring for direct.

The WSM rocks! We are the envy of our extended family.

Nice to see you are still here James, I myself had drifted from the WSM BBQ'n a bit because I've been busy with new additions to the family and work, but this year have dusted it off again and dug into the stash of lumpwood in the shed. Done Britu ribs again 2 days ago and I'm hooked again.

Hope to pop the head in here more often

Brett (Bren H) lol
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back