Fred in Raleigh

Fred Womble

I am totally new to WSM...moved in March so I gave my indirect smoker/coker to bro-in-law. Have now moved into new home and ready to smoke again! A colleague at work suggested the Weber "bullet" model and initially I dismissed his suggestion, a few weeks ago. Then I did some research, ended up on this site and...you guys sold me! Picked up an 18.5 and gonna try baby back ribs this afternoon, planning to sit down around 5 (right as late NFL games approach second qtr). Will look for more recipes and time suggestions, but also appreciate any quick tips (especially time to cook) here. I'm thinking they should be on the grill by 2, so start coals, wood at 1. Excited to start my WSM "career", thanks for having me!

Welcome to another Raleigh member. You'll be happy with your smoker choice. And the panthers are looking surprisingly decent right now!

Hi guys, thanks for the nice welcome and assistance. I'm happy to report back first effort gets an enthusiastic grade and I can't wait to get back to it soon! :) But must confess that I turned to gas grill for last 10 minutes (don't boot me yet).

I smoked baby back ribs at around 200 for three hours, I believe I'd have done better at 240+ but decided I didn't use enough charcoal...I'll get there. But oh my, the ribs were fantastic. I used McCormick's sweet and smoky rub and marinated them in apple cider vinegar all day, eight hours by the time I put them on the grill. Used no sauce, just the three hours of smoke and 10-15 on flame. They were firm but not hard, i.e., not "fall off the bone" tender and moist. But so flavorful - smoke and apple wood flavor were faint and terrific complement to the rub. Lovin' the WSM, thanks for the responses and kind welcome!

Welcome to another North Carolinian. Glad to have you on board.

BTW, my favorite sauce for ribs is one I found here. 4 parts KC Masterpiece Original and 1 part honey. Not roo sweet and a wonderful flavor.

Ray

Welcome Fred. Make no mistake. It ain't no career. Not one that pays in dollars, but you will be popular. Especially at Christmas party/pot luck time.

Thanks all, these kind welcome messages and tips are great. What a surprise to see a lot of other NC folks here - love it. Tim, I'm originally from Tville. However, I'm all about eastern sauce! Thanks again gents, really cool to have found other cue/smoke fiends!

Back