My mini-wsm

Alan Dively

TVWBB Member
After reading all threads, I spent some of my free moments over the past few weeks building my mini. I bought a SJS Silver because I want to use this as a grill as well. I went with the IMUSA 32 QT steamer and cut the bottom out entirely, leaving a 1/2" lip for stability. I put the smaller charcoal grate on the very bottom with a foiled 12" clay saucer resting on it. Above that are two cooking racks. The lower is ~1/2" above the clay saucer, the top grate rests in between the bolts that hold the handles on the pot. I painted it using high heat primer, black engine enamel, and then clear coated it. For the lid I installed a weber thermometer I bought off of amazon. My father-in-law made me an expanded metal basket that tapers out for more capacity.

p1122234286-2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I used it twice last weekend and it works amazingly well. After setting the paint Saturday, I cooked some wings on it with DP Swamp Venom, which were the best wings I think I ever had (and I've had a lot from a lot of different places). Sunday, I cut a rack of spares in half and was able to hold 250 at the lid for 6 hrs with hardly any vent jockeying. I could have gone MANY more judging from the lump that was left over. I did not add any lump to the cooker the entire weekend, just half a chimney of stubb's briquettes both times to Minion start. I am going to add the can mod to vents because I did have to use an Allen wrench Sunday to clear some ash from the vents. I love this thing!
p1122234230-2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

p1122233706-2.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Back