First smoke questions

NeilK

TVWBB Member
Hi…My name is Neil and I live in southern New Jersey, and I am now obsessed!! Just got a WSM 22.5 and did my first smoke. I did 2 whole chickens about 4- 4.5 lbs each. I applied a nice rub and used the Minion method…one chimney of original Kingsford briquettes, then 3/4 chimney of lit Kingsford and 3 chunks of apple wood. I also filled the water pan with one gallon of water. I wanted to smoke at 275, but I couldn't get the smoker past 255- 260 max. My vents were 100% open. I didn't peek until the 2 hour mark and was nicely surprised that the birds were nice and mahogany color…temp. of the birds at breast was 156 degrees. I let it go another 1/2 hour. The temp was now 165 degrees so I took them out and tented them for about 20 minutes than ate! Very moist and tender meat…I give it a 9 out of 10. It seems that the smoke flavor is a bit strong…I am not sure if is too much wood or it is the briquettes giving off a funny smoke (binders in coal??)…Should I have used hardwood charcoal? I would appreciate any thoughts, tips, etc. I am going to try a dry water pan next time to see if the temp gets higher. Thanks!

I've had the same problem before with my WSM. Airflow underneath your fire is key to heat. Too many unburned briquets under your fire was the problem I'd guess. Try it with one full chimney, till the briquets are white all the way to the top. Take your temps, and if you need another half chimney or so add it. You should have no problem getting 275 degrees.

I take an hour to start my fire and get my temps up before I slap on my meat. If you can keep a steady heat, you'll make great food!

The water pan is more to regulate your temps, not so much increase them.

Thank you A Dunn! I will try that...when you say wait till the briquetts are white, does that mean white in the chimney or after I put them in the WSM? (I am a newbie)

I let em get white in the chimney before I dump em. Thats just how I do it. it leaves less unburned briquets. nice thing about a WSM is they're extremely efficient on fuel --- once you get it up to temp, it should stay there for a few hours without much fuss. If I do that, i've had a lot of smokes where my temps don't vary more than 5 degrees.

You asked about hardwood. Personally, if I need a higher temp I'll use hardwood lump charcoal. It burns a little hotter, a little faster and gives off less ash. Maybe try it after you start to get the feel of your smoker.

Take your time and don't get in a rush bro and enjoy yer smoke :)

Last edited:
If you want high temps in your smoker don't put water in the water pan just foil it. When you foil make sure there is an air space between the bottom of the bowl and the foil or you can have burning grease. If you use water make sure you use hot water so it easier to get up to temp. Welcome to the forum.

Hi Neil and welcome aboard.

I use a foiled clay flower put base in the foiled water pan, with no water. I do HH briskets at 325F no problem with briquettes.

Bob

Neil,

For poultry you need less wood. Depending on the size, three chunks sounds like too much for thse small birds.I would have used no more than 2 chunks, each about one third the size of your fist.

Ray

Welcome Neil! As stated above skip the water in the pan if cooking chicken. Be sure to foil it or the fat will burn in the bottom of the pan. or just remove the pan alltogether.(works best with a butterflyed chicken)

Start with 1,5 fist sized chunks. Add 0.5 next cook if you want more flavour. After a few birds i guess you will be like me and crave more of that smoke. (you build up ressistance to that flavour i guess)

Good luck and report back.

I'm a big fan of brining my birds. I've had some that have gotten away from me and the brine saved my arse. Even so, makes em moist with the right brine and they disappear from the table pretty fast.

Back