Wisconsin > Cambridge: Double S BBQ

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
Double S BBQ has been around for awhile but they only recently (May) opened an actual restaurant, so last Saturday I took a drive over to Cambridge.

One of the well-known local businesses is Rowe Pottery Works.
DoubleSBBQ20120908_1.jpg

Boaters, fishers, and Lawn-Boy enthusiasts might be interested to know this little bit of Cambridge history, posted in Ripley Park. Lake Ripley is in the background.
DoubleSBBQ20120908_2.jpg

Double S is located in a small strip mall on US-18. While waiting for the door to open at noon I sat at one of the picnic tables and enjoyed the smoke. And every barbecue joint should be located next to a beer store!
DoubleSBBQ20120908_3.jpg

DoubleSBBQ20120908_4.jpg

There are only a few tables inside.
DoubleSBBQ20120908_5.jpg

I was a little disappointed that the Cajun specialties were unavailable but the Taste of Madison had been held the previous weekend and they hadn't restocked yet. I wonder what was under the piece of paper...pork, maybe? Double S is licensed to sell beer, which is listed on a separate board. And yes, they sell Shiner.
DoubleSBBQ20120908_6.jpg

I decided on the 2-meat plate and since ribs weren't going to be ready for another hour I chose brisket and sausage, and added sides of beans and cornbread.
DoubleSBBQ20120908_7.jpg

The brisket had a light smoke flavor and was pretty good, but I really liked the spicy smoked sausage from Beasley's.
DoubleSBBQ20120908_8.jpg

The cornbread had a light, mild flavor that I liked but according to the owner's wife it doesn't seem to be very popular. It wasn't sweet or cakey and while a dollop of butter certainly wouldn't have hurt I thought it was fine as it was, but it was also fresh out of the oven so maybe that had something to do with it.
DoubleSBBQ20120908_9.jpg

The beans tasted beany, meaty, and slightly smoky without any sweetness, which was a nice change from baked beans.

I'm looking forward to another visit so that I can try the boudain links and balls.

Thanks for posting that Brad. My SIL lived on the Cambridge side of Lake Ripley for10 yrs. spent many a weekend up that way fishing and having a good time, The beer store was just right down the road. Our God-daughter is still up that way,so I'll check it out next time we visit.

Tim

Update: Double S moved from Cambridge to Madison (Monroe St.) last year but so far hasn't gotten permission to smoke on-site, so the smoking is done in Deerfield and then the food is transported (probably 45 minutes or so) to the restaurant. I haven't yet visited the new location.

Back