Magnum Mini-WSM

Steve_A (Tatoosh)

TVWBB Super Fan
This may be old news here, but it is new to me ... the Smokey Joe being turned into not just a mini-wsm, but a mini-magnum wsm!

The project is in progress over at BBQ Brethren and might interest some of the mini-wsm folks. The guy is doing two kettles instead of one and going for a third, all stacked on top of each other, so it will look a bit like a missile by the time it is completed. Test cooks have not been done yet, but the concept is intriguing, particularly for me. I have a SJG coming and if I can find a pot (or 2) to fit it locally (I am in the Philippines) then I can do a mini-wsm too. Doubling that would be exceptionally handy though there is some concern if the SJ will produce enough heat for that tall a column.

It will likely be adequate for my purposes if it works, which is a sausage smoker. I don't need really high temps, just reasonably above the 150F I will shoot for when hot finishing hotdogs and similar sausages. So a double stacker will give me the height to loop and hang some small lengths or stings of sausage. That sounds really good to my ears. I'm not planning on making a huge amount of hotdogs, but with my Weber kettle, hanging them would be very problematic. This looks like an easy fix.

They do mention reinforcing the legs to handle the increased load of two or three pots with racks of food, much more weight than the Smokey Joe's legs are intended to handle.

Discussion is ---> HERE

Looks interesting. As was mentioned in the thread, the stability of th pots is a concern. Where the pot meets the bowl is a snug fit, but not completely tight. You would probably need to find a way to make the base pot more secure, same with the second pot to the first pot. I don't think heat will be an issue, light a few more briquettes and the heat will be adequate for the task...hopefully.

I'm nosing around for either 2 stock pots or a 15 gallon steel drum that will fit the SJ. Either is acceptable as long as they are stable. I'll engage my patience for awhile since the SJ is bobbing across the Pacific and it'll be the middle or end of October before it arrives. I need it in-hand before I buy stock pots or a barrel.

I would almost think a solid drum that fits the sjs would be the best way to go...less parts to deal with and all that. On the other hand, can you find a drum/pot like that? Does a 15 gal fit the sjs?
Just curious, did you have to order your sjs from the US or Australia? Just wondering if you have choices since they may have Weber products in Australia not available to the US.

I think if you're going to go (stack) that high, you may need to go with 2 separate pots. Removing a rack from the bottom of a 15 gallon smoker (loaded with food) would seem to me like quite a challenge. Where as if you had 2 separate pots, access to all food racks would be rather simple. Just my 2 cents worth.
Tim

Chad, mine came out of the USA. I have a friend in England that I'm tempted to ask to send one to the Philippines, since shipping here is pretty cheap compared to many other places. Europe & the UK have versions not available in the USA. I've been eyeballing the Ivory SJ, but since I already have one on the way, I'll probably forgo the pleasure of owning it.

The 15 gallon option is not likely here in the Philippines, I have not seen any 15 gallon drums around. The stock pot option is, however, much more feasible. All the pots here are in liters and come from China, so I really need the Smokey Joe in hand to be sure the stock pot will fit properly. I thought if I find the 15 gallon drum, I would have an insert made so I can raise and lower the racks all at once. Just to deal with the problem TimK mentioned.

Steve_A (Tatoosh), Howdy;

Steve_A (Tatoosh); (359226 said:
Chad, mine came out of the USA. I have a friend in England that I'm tempted to ask to send one to the Philippines, since shipping here is pretty cheap compared to many other places. Europe & the UK have versions not available in the USA. I've been eyeballing the Ivory SJ, but since I already have one on the way, I'll probably forgo the pleasure of owning it.

The 15 gallon option is not likely here in the Philippines, I have not seen any 15 gallon drums around. The stock pot option is, however, much more feasible. All the pots here are in liters and come from China, so I really need the Smokey Joe in hand to be sure the stock pot will fit properly. I thought if I find the 15 gallon drum, I would have an insert made so I can raise and lower the racks all at once. Just to deal with the problem TimK mentioned.

The IMUSA pots are made in China, They may be available there in the PI...
Get some all-thread and the appropeate number of washers and nuts to connect the layers ???????
Only suggestions.

hank

Last edited:
Yeah, I was looking at the build over at BB forum. He uses the lid of the first pot and rivets it to the bottom of the second pot. Both are cut out, so we are effectively talking about the "rims". The pot lid is fastened to the bottom of the send pot so it will sit snug on the first pot and no tipping worries. I think in the original thread he rivets them, but a lock nut and bolt would work too. Either way, sounds potentially effective to me, not having done it before.

Back