Fitting ribs, how many?

TJMartin

TVWBB Member
I'm going to be smoking some baby backs this week at work for everyone I work with, anyone know how many racks you can fit on two racks on the mini? I'm guessing 3 racks.

My guess is 4 if you cut rack in half and placed it on the top grate and 3 racks if you rolled them and place on the lower grate. If not rolling I don't more than 2 would fit, 1 rack halved on each grate.

TJMartin, Howdy;

Maybe the first question to you would have been, How many folks are going to be there?
Then you could see how many racks you would need, then see how large of a shoe spoon
or shoehorn you'd need to fit them all (the ribs, not the folks), into the mini???
I know I'm chiming in late but how'd it go???

hank

Does using a rib rack affect the way that ribs cook? My dad and myself have always just laid them flat on the grate no matter what kind of smoker we were using, electric or charcoal fired. It would be nice to have them standing up for sure to fit more, but if it slows down or speeds up the cooking process I don't know that I'd invest in racks since I have the flat method down pretty good at this point.

TJMartin, Howdy;

Maybe the first question to you would have been, How many folks are going to be there?
Then you could see how many racks you would need, then see how large of a shoe spoon
or shoehorn you'd need to fit them all (the ribs, not the folks), into the mini???
I know I'm chiming in late but how'd it go???

hank

It's me and 10 other's, so two racks weren't enough for a full stomach. But they turned out awesome and everyone liked them, so now I know how much St Louis style racks I can fit with no rib rack, rolling them, or cutting them in half and I go learn from this.

Does using a rib rack affect the way that ribs cook? My dad and myself have always just laid them flat on the grate no matter what kind of smoker we were using, electric or charcoal fired. It would be nice to have them standing up for sure to fit more, but if it slows down or speeds up the cooking process I don't know that I'd invest in racks since I have the flat method down pretty good at this point.

I haven't experienced it myself but I believe I have read somewhere that it shouldn't effect the cooking time as long as they are spaced out form each other on the rack. Meaning if you have a rack where the ribs are laying on top of each other with no air flow between them then you're going to have to add time to your cook.

Back