Basic BBQ Chicken with Grilled Zuchinni

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

This weekend I was feeling lazy so I decided to go with an old stand by, BBQ Chicken. I did dress it up with some ideas I borrowed from other recipes on this forum. I cut up some leg quarters and sprinkled them liberally with Montreal Chicken seasoning and lightly with garlic salt. I left these covered in the fridge for several hours. I marinated the zucchini in Good Seasons Garlic Herb Salad dressing (made from a packet) for several hours in the fridge. I made a sauce consisting of 2 parts Sweet Baby Ray's and one part Apple Juice. I cooked the bird on the grill for about an hour over indirect medium coals with some AJ soaked apple wood chips for flavor. I put the bird pieces in an aluminum pan and poured the sauce over them and then sealed the pan with foil and let this run for another 45 min (indirect). Once they were done (internal temp of 175 F), I removed them from the pan and grilled them over low direct coals turning frequently for several minutes to set the sauce and crisp up the skin a bit. Along the way, I grilled the marinated zucchini over medium direct coals. The family enjoyed the chicken so the cook was a success and not too much work. I had never used the intermediate pan step before and I am quite pleased with the results (thanks Jumpin' Jim). Using the AJ and apple wood smoke added a very nice hint of apple flavor to the bird but it made the sauce too thin. Next time, I will leave the AJ out of the sauce or use a much lower ratio (maybe 1 part to 5). Pictures are below.

Chicken Prepped with Dry Rub (Montreal Chicken & Garlic Salt)

Zucchini Prepped with Garlic and Herb Salad Dressing

Sauce Prep (Sweet Baby Rays and AJ)

Start of Cook - Indirect - Medium Low Coals

Sauced

Setting the Sauce

Grilled Zucchini

Plated

Back