Ash build up

TJMartin

TVWBB Member
Yesterday I had my 2nd cook on the mini, one was 12 1/2 hrs and the other 12hrs.

Had to refuel 3-4 times through the cook, plus near the 10-11 hr mark pull it all apart and take the charcoal grate out to scoop a ton of ashes out since my new charcoal I was putting on were just resting on ash that just filled up the entire bottom. Anyone have any tricks of the trade to deal with this, I think I need to invest in a small gardening shovel, I was using a paint scrapper since I didn't have a shovel lol. I looked ridiculous.

I've used a large 16oz can to scoop out ashes, wearing leather gloves while doing it, works pretty well. I also have a large metal bucket I use for ash, so I'll remove the grate and empty the bowl into the bucket. That works even better.

Use lump. Wicked Good or some other brand that has very larger pieces.

I used mine twice this weekend for a total of 9 hrs (2 hrs burning it in and setting the paint, an hour for wings, and 6 hrs for a rack of spares) and didn't clean out ash or add charcoal besides what I used to start the minion.

I could have gone another 5-6 hrs with what was leftover

Make a charcoal basket out of expando wire the bottom to the sides so a quick shake seperates the ash. Burns good too. I used an SJ charcoal grate for the bottom.

I am enjoying the heck out on my mini.

Other alternatives are to convert the Silver to a Gold by adding vents on the side or do shorter (higher heat) cooks. I have a Silver with added side vents, an expanded metal basket for coals, and usually do shorter cooks and so far no issues with ash build up.

Back