Throwdown #8: Ground Stuff

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Ground beef, chicken, turkey, venison, tofu. If its been through a grinder, it's fair game.

Let's run this through October 7th. Good luck, and good cooking everyone!

Good point Chris. I'm now realizing I was way out of bounds after re-reading the original rules. Should we start over? I'm totally ok with that.

No, I don't think we should redo the last Throwdown.

It was members who suggested a Throwdown and it was members who came up with the rules. It's up to all of you how we should conduct these things.

I suggest we move forward as follows:

• 1 entry per post (e.g. if a hamburger throwdown, only one burger variation per post)
  • Member may submit multiple entries (e.g. one entry for buffalo burger, one entry for turkey burger, etc.)
  • Each entry may include a maximum of 10 photos showing prep and plated presentation
  • Feel free to explain your process with written descriptions

Thoughts?
Chris

Guess I violated the rules last time as well.

Agree with the above post and a suggestion if I may. Can we please post the rules in a sticky at the top so us newbies can find them easily?

-rog

Guess I violated the rules last time as well.

Agree with the above post and a suggestion if I may. Can we please post the rules in a sticky at the top so us newbies can find them easily?

-rog

I agree that a set of rules should be posted as a sticky (so I can find it) :) Didn't mean to cause confusion but I'm glad I brought it up to get the rules commitee to establish a standard. Thanks guys!

You know, I hate to bring this up since Chris already stickied the rules, but I thought that one of the biggest challenges with the Throwdown format was being limited to 4 prep and 1 plated picture. I almost feel that 10 is too many, but maybe 5+1 would be better for conveying all of the steps and still giving you the challenge of selecting the right photo ops. Anybody else feel the same?

Edit: and now that I think about it, aren't we limited to 10 images in a post by the bulletin board?

Last edited:
I take it burgers are included in this category or are y'all wanting to keep it solely meat based food? Like meatloaf or gyro meat?

I think you have a lot of lattitude to create any dish that uses ground meat as a major component. I think a burger definitely fits the category.

Regards,
Chris

I've been wanting to do the throw-down for awhile now, but always too busy. Finally found some time this week, so here it is...

Turducken Loaf

My first thought was to do a meatloaf, but I wanted this meatloaf to be unique. Using ground turkey, duck, and chicken seemed the logical choice for a unique meatloaf.

1 lb of ground turkey
1/2 lb of ground duck (I only had a 1/2 pound on hand, otherwise a 1 lb would be the better choice)
1 lb of ground chicken
1.5 cups of bread crumbs
1 cup of cooked wild rice
3/4 cup of white onion
1/2 cup of minced celery
1/2 cup of minced carrot
1 Tbl of minced garlic
1 egg
1/2 cup of mined porcini mushrooms
3 Tbl of Penzey's Poultry Seasoning
1 Tbl kosher salt
one.jpg

I mixed each meat individually with some of the egg and poultry seasoning, then spread it out in a pan. I wanted the meats to have their own layer, so I did not mix all the meat together. As you can see, the other half lb would have been nice.
two.jpg

Once spread out next to each other, I spread the rest of the ingredients over the flatten loaf.
three.jpg

Rolled into a loaf...
four.jpg

fve.jpg

I smoked it at 275 for 2 hours for a final temp of 170. The finished meatloaf came out perfect, the turkey and duck was darker than the chicken, but the taste was wonderful.
six.jpg

Last edited:
Wow... that is a great idea and looks delicious.

I would definitely be taking three slices though (to get some of each meat) so I don't know what the rest of you are going to eat ;)

Wow... that is a great idea and looks delicious.

I would definitely be taking three slices though (to get some of each meat) so I don't know what the rest of you are going to eat ;)

Thanks John. I should mention I sought Kevin Kruggers advice on the ingredients, and I'm glad I followed them. It WAS a really good meatloaf.

Back