California > San Jose: Sam's BBQ

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
http://samsbbq.com/
1110 South Bascom Avenue San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 297-9151

The Carlino family has a long tradition in the San Jose grocery business. In 1992, Sam Sr. and Sam Jr. opened Sam's BBQ on Bascom Avenue. They have all the usual barbecued meats and side dishes, plus smoked prime rib on Friday and Saturday nights. Everything is cooked over oak wood. Their sauce is quite popular and available at several South Bay supermarkets.

Regards,
Chris

I'm in town for business and happened past this place on my way back to the hotel. I tried the sampler platter at the recommendation of the order taker. I choose:

1. Carolina pork - the worst of my choices. no seasoning, no bark, and way too much vinegar
2. baby back ribs - these failed the pull test and were a little tough, but were OK flavor
3. Brisket - This was juicy and tasted pretty good. It could have benefitted from a little rub.

Sides of slaw and potato salad were good but did not seem homemade. I could be wrong.

Bob

Sam's BBQ used to be our goto for barbeque. My family (parents, sister, wife) and friends liked this place. Then I started bbq'ing. We haven't been back. I agree with Bob Fox on all his points.

Back