Just bought a Smokey Joe Silver

Justin B

TVWBB Fan
I just picked up a SJS tonight at Walmart. I took it off the shelf and dropped it on the floor but since it was the only one, I kept it. Got to the register and they took 25% off so i only paid $23. I love my Performer, but this SJS can cook one helluva burger. I'm planning on using it for camping because I hate burgers on the fire with the 22" grate. Short of buying a chimney, does anyone have a good idea how to light it? I was thinking of "tasteless" lighter fluid. Thanks.

i would think that you could stick some lighter cubes, etc under the charcoal grate and then on the grate stack the coals and light. or do a coffee can coal lighter conversion. me, i would just get a weber chimney.

A torch works really well for me. I started using this when I got my egg, now it's my preferred method for all my grills.

I use a torch too. With the torch you just get a few areas glowing & give it a little time.

search "hose torch" @ amazon, or "weed burner" @ harbor freight - I use a benz-o-matic torch head connected to a 20# tank to green bottle adapter (i don't know what it's called). HTH.

Since you have a performer already, and probably don't want to spend a bunch of money... Why not punch/drill a lot of holes (biggish holes) in a coffee can, put charcoal in the can, then set it over the gas flame on your performer?

The performer idea is nice, but it doesn't help when travelling, which is what these little grills are perfect for.

I'm personally planning on buying a small blowtorch, the type that plumbers use to sweat pipes together. They're cheap and portable. I also would recommend the Weber chimney, it has made my life much easier, and by now has paid for itself (by not needing lighter fluid or starting cubes, just a couple paper towels).

Back