Hi Chesterfield, VA

S Cushman

Picked up a WSM 22.5". Also have a Performer, which has done me well in the last few years, but figured I would take it up a notch or two. Smoked 6 racks for BB ribs yesterday, but didnt have the crust that I normally do. Perhaps it was because its the first time, but SMW cooked the ribs very fast and didnt have time to sauce and direct grill for final 30 minutes or so. Anyone else have that issue? Temp held steady at around 250 degrees in rainy weather, so very impressed. Sorry I dont have any pics, but more to come. Few more questions:

- seems most folks foil the water pan, is that just the bottom or the whole thing?
- using the minion method, in a 22" WSM how much unlit charcoal should I use?

Look forward to many posts.

Seth

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Seth! I would just foil the inside of the water pan. As far as amount of charcoal, I have the 18.5 and always fill the ring with unlit.
Once your cook is over you shut down and any left can be used for the next cook.

Welcome to the forum Seth!
I foil the entire waterpan, start with wrapping the bottom, then i place foiled clay sauces inside...
then foil the top of the pan to catch all the drippings. Just makes for easy clean-up.
Mike's use of charcoal above is the way to go.

Hope your stay is enjoyable :wsm:

Well...I did like Jim 2 years ago. Now i dont really get the idea of keeping the waterbowl clean on the underside? Its a smoker...It looks like a mess inside...But it have an awesome seal. And it smells like any pit should(used)

I burnt some grease into my water pan the second cook. Cant clean it. Almost welded into the pan. But then again who cares? Its a smoker gutdammit. Save the foil...And add foil ontop...So the drippings wont burn in the bowl. Or get a clay saucer to catch the drippings. Dont be to anal with the clean up. The WSM is Built to last you A LoooooNG time anyway.

Back