wings

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
why can i never get my wings crispy on my gas grill? am i just not cooking them long enough? Skin always seems a bit slimey. Usually cook for about 40 minutes on direct heat at about 375. what am i doing wrong? thanks

..in a Weber kettle 350* for a full hour gets wings & skin the way ya like em .... maybe lengthen your cook to an hour?
icon_confused.gif

I'd let them go until just done over med. heat, indirect.
Then crank it up a bit for a direct hit.

IMO, the fat needs to render from under the skin, and 40 min. is not long enough to do this.

Wow! I must be way out in left field as my method is quite different. Wings come out great in minutes on my Performer. Can't say I have tried to cook them on my Spirit, but it should be similar. This method is found in the Cook's Illustrated grilling book. First step is medium fire. Cook indirect for 4 minutes covered, then turn for 4 more minutes covered. Then put the wings on direct for a minute or at most 2 on each side uncovered, paying attention so you don't burn them. Off the grill, cover and rest for 8 to 10 minutes. I toss them in a salad bowl with the marinade right away that is before the rest period. Another approach is to leave them naked and serve with a variety of dipping sauces. Dipping sauces are very popular with crowds. This method gives juicy wings on the inside with crispy outside and great flavor.

Bill

Back