Recommend a Good Meat Cleaver?

Gene_N

TVWBB Fan
I'm using an 8" JA Henckels chef knife to slice the bark. Using heat gloves, it feels really small and slippery in my hands. I have smaller hands & I don't want to bust the piggy bank.... I appreciate it.

I bought a clever from a knife shop and put on the bloodwood handles. All of my knives come from there, just have to attach and finish the handles.

I wouldent spend to mutch cash on a cleaver. Its a heavy duty knife. The edge is not that important comparing to a chefs/paring knife. I would go with a cheap one with a handle that fits your hand. Go to a decent knife store and try out a few ones,when you find the right cleaver write down the name and order it online to save a few bucks. And ofc via the TVWBB link to support. ;)

I really only use a cleaver when I cutting through joints (wings, legs) and really, only because that way I don't bang my knuckles using my henckel chef's blade ;)

Seeing as you already have a henckel, may I suggest their line of knives called Twin Master. They have yellow handles and from a lot of research that I've done, they are the best value

http://www2.zwilling.com/en-CA/Prod...verview--serien/TWIN-Master-yellow--3955.html

Also, one other inexpensive brand is Rada Cutlery (who does sell a cleaver BTW) but usually through fund-raising programs (although I think they do sell direct but not in stores)
http://www.radacutlery.com/kitchenknives/chefknives

I have read nothing but GOOD about those two brands (with rada being cheaper than Henkels).

I would not hesitate in buying either product (if convenient for you to do so).

I have a German made cleaver that I bought my mother some years ago....and inherited it back. Very nice quality, I'll try toi post a pic with the name. Bought it here in San Diego so its not some super exotic.

I'm using an 8" JA Henckels chef knife to slice the bark. Using heat gloves, it feels really small and slippery in my hands. I have smaller hands & I don't want to bust the piggy bank.... I appreciate it.

Why would you need to hold the knife with a heat glove?

A traditional meat cleaver is intended for heavy duty meat prep which would be unusual for a home cook.

I have a Chinese cleaver (I rarely use) which is much lighter than a meat cleaver and intended for lighter duty like veggies.

Maybe there is an alternative to accomplish what you are trying to do.

Slicing large cuts of meat is more effective with a Slicer. Do you mean chopping bark? Brisket? Pork?

Maybe your current knife is dull.

Turns out mine is a Zwilling JA Henckels 150mm (6") Cleaver...on the smaller side, but nice and heavy, balanced, with a nice grip. My wife also has a light duty Chinese one as mentioned above, that she brought with her from Jinan after we were married. (A trunk full of items that came over in the captains cabin of an ocean freighter...'Guangxi')

Why would you need to hold the knife with a heat glove?

A traditional meat cleaver is intended for heavy duty meat prep which would be unusual for a home cook.

I have a Chinese cleaver (I rarely use) which is much lighter than a meat cleaver and intended for lighter duty like veggies.

Maybe there is an alternative to accomplish what you are trying to do.

Slicing large cuts of meat is more effective with a Slicer. Do you mean chopping bark? Brisket? Pork?

Maybe your current knife is dull.

I ended up buying a JA Henckels 6" classic cleaver from my local Bed Bath & Beyond for $40. I use it to slice/pull hot butts with gloved hands. I prefer the bigger, heavier knife because it does not feel like it's slipping out of my hand. I think pulling the butt then slicing it provides for better uniformity esp with the bark. It makes it easier to pack too.

I did spend an hour sharpening all my kitchen cultery so my chef knife could have been dull too. Using the cleaver works pretty well cubing cold brisket and butterflying whole chickens for which it was designed to do.

Back