Just finished my build

BArthur

Here is the outside:

405898_10151222507108619_1903534404_n.jpg

And the inside.

328915_10151222537918619_1073059843_o.jpg

It is sitting at ~200 right now fully open but its only been going for an hour or so.

Might need to light more bricks next time.

Looking good! You're going to love the mini, I did four meat loafs last night, the in-laws were wowed. I'm doing 18 drumsticks later today for more family, they cannot get over how easy it is to make great bbq with just a pot with the bottom removed.

so it seems to be hovering at 300 wide open after a few hours

I like to do chicken so i wanted to see what it would go up to and for how long.

Its up to 340 right now with about half the coals left

Looks like i can get this hot enough to crisp up some skin on chickens.

BArthur, Howdy;

Great lookin' mini !!!
Looks like you gave yourself plenty of options as far as where
to place the cook grates ... ;)

What (if any), kind of charcoal basket did you decide on and what
did you do for ash control???

hank

no basket, just a second charcoal grate rotated 90 to hold the coals for as long as possible.

I bought a 1qt paint can to use for ash control but it didnt seem to need it at all with the dry run.

Running it wide open might have something to do with that.

I might do a second dry run tomorrow to see how long i can run at 225.

This go around i set the whole thing wide open and didnt mess with it and it easily made 6 hours

Here is my first live run:
327929_10151238182033619_2031545880_o.jpg

Finished product:
202819_10151238289593619_999900464_o.jpg

So this is my first attempt at wings.

Few things i learned:

Fully dry the wings before coating with oil and rub

Full wings are a pain in the ***, so I will either trim them or buy them as drumettes and sections.

Saucing the wings after cooking is kinda a pain with 3 layers. Mainly due to the thermometer i chose and how long the probe is.

Other than that, pretty happy with the results.

Looks great. I made mine a few months ago from the SJ Silver, and only have one cooking rack. I've used it a few times for chicken and butt, and like it because of the low charcoal usage. Yours must be the "gold" version of the SJ, which I understand has better vents at the bottom. I used the "Swanson's Chicken" can to put over the central vent in the "silver" edition and haven't had any problems. In fact, I've had requests from two of my friends to make one for them.

Oh man those wing tips are like chicken chips when you get them to crisp up though! Don't throw them away after you cut them off, just drop em in the deep fryer before you do the french fries! LOL.

Back