WSM mini

Tibor

Old subject , new to me . I need some help with my smoky joe silver.I just completed my build. At 4:00 this I started my first burn. I placed 25 Kingsford on the fuel grate. I started 10 more pces. in a chimmney. waited till they had some ash on them. The problem is the coals dont get any hotter then 177 F. I do have a 12 ceramic plant saucer as a heat dispercer (sink). Any one have a solution to my problem.Thanks The mini wsm looks pretty intimanating.

Welcome Tibor!

Assuming you've cut the bottom out of the pot, make sure both the lid and the bottom vents are fully open untill it gets to temp, make sure the 10 briquettes are fully lit, make sure it is up to temp before you place any meat in the mini, and lastly, be patient and give it a few minutes. I usually don't place the lit briquettes on the unlit until they are almost completely grey with ash.

Last edited:
Did you cut out the pot bottom or drill a bunch of holes? How long did you give it to get to temp? The diffuser takes 20 minutes or so to heat up. As already asked--- did you let the hot coals turn white before adding them? Start with the bottom vent wide open and the top damper vent wide open as well until you come up to temp. Then adjust the bottom vent if needed--- always leave the top exhaust vent open though :)

Tibor, Howdy;

You mention you'er using;
" I do have a 12 ceramic plant saucer as a heat dispercer (sink). "
Do you have the bottom cut out? If so, what's the diameter of the hole.
If it's real close or the same as the saucer that may be part of the problem.
Try one an inch or 2 smaller and, please let us know how it works out for ya.

hank

Also the Ceramic Saucer is absorbing heat. This is good if your getting too hot but not if you cant get the heat you are looking for. I bought a saucer but went without it based on the feed back on the board. Using a metal pie tin or a small pizza pan works better as it deflects heat to create the indirect heat you want but doesn't adsorb heat like the ceramic does.

Back