How to trim bottom of pot

RCBaughn

TVWBB Super Fan
Has a consensus been reached on what is the best way to cut the bottom out of the pot on a mini WSM? I have seen some that only cut out D shapes around the side and leave most of the bottom intact, and then I have seen some that cut the entire bottom out.

Also, the terra cotta pot mod, is that to hold water was well or is it just used as a heat diffuser solely? I am wanting to get this ole girl rolling soon but I don't want to hack it up before I get the right way to do it. Thanks so much guys, look forward to hearing back and getting my smoke on!

I used a 12" pie pan as a template to cut the bottom out with a jig saw. This leaves a 1" or 2" lip on the bottom that adds to the sturdiness of the pot, it is pretty thin aluminum. I'm not sure if there is a consensus on this method, but it works well and I have no complaints.
The 12" (or so) pie pan or terra cotta pot bottom acts as a diffuser. It seems to shallow to hold water for any reasonable amount of time, IMHO, nor have I needed to fill it with water to get good steady temps.

Hope this helps, don't forget to post some pics of the member of your Weber family:D

Will do! I am still trying to hash out the best way to suspend the terra cotta bottom in the grill. I have seen some put it in the lower section right above the charcoal and some put it higher using a grate on the pots lip around the bottom and setting the terra cotta on that. I would think that using it right above the charcoal would limit how tall your charcoal could be and it may be too close to the fire, but I have no idea. Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated as well.

Will do! I am still trying to hash out the best way to suspend the terra cotta bottom in the grill. I have seen some put it in the lower section right above the charcoal and some put it higher using a grate on the pots lip around the bottom and setting the terra cotta on that. I would think that using it right above the charcoal would limit how tall your charcoal could be and it may be too close to the fire, but I have no idea. Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated as well.

A charcoal grate suspended on the cut out lip at the bottom of the pot is what I did. The grate clears the bump in at the bottom of the pot and sits well on the lip. My 12" pie pan sits on top of the grate, and a second regular grate sits on the bump in. I followed Chris Allingham's instructions pretty much step by step. If I find another pot at a good price, like $30 less:rolleyes:, I'll try some of the other members ideas for cutting and modifying the pot. But at $40 bucks, I wanted something tried, true, and simple;).

I think the cleanest and easiest way to cut out the bottom is with airplane metal cutting shears. Some people call these tin snips but those are larger and not for cutting left or right (green or red color) rounded cuts, but straight cuts. If you don't own a pair they are $7-9 at Lowes. I traced a line around the bottom with a sharpie holding it almost flat with my thumb and using my index finger down the side of the pot as a guide. I just eyeballed the distance aprox. 1 1/2 - 2" and then held my index finger steady on the side as I went around. I drilled a 1/4" hole just inside the line to start my shears. The whole process probably only takes 5 minutes. Using a jigsaw can mangle the soft aluminum and take more time especially if you have a dull or wood cutting blade. I think shears are the way to go clean and easy. I'm using 3 1-3/4" stainless screws with wing nuts to hold the terra cotta. I drill right into the indent towards the bottom. I think this puts it at a good height. I place my terra cotta upside down too and it happens to give even more clearence if needed.

Last edited:
Sounds great guys, I may do the bolt method since it will save me the money on having to buy one extra grate instead of two.

Also, is there an advantage to terra cotta over using a stainless bowl with water in it? I have a bowl already that would fit but I'll gladly spend the money on the pot bottom if it will give me much better results.

Sounds great guys, I may do the bolt method since it will save me the money on having to buy one extra grate instead of two.

Also, is there an advantage to terra cotta over using a stainless bowl with water in it? I have a bowl already that would fit but I'll gladly spend the money on the pot bottom if it will give me much better results.
My experience has been that water in the pan is not necessary, the pie pan/terra cotta pot bottom does the job well enough without water. I must admit that i haven't tried useing water, but it seems more trouble than its worth. Technically speaking, water isn't necessary for the 18 & 22 WSM either, I don't use it in my 18 and I get the same results that got with water; great BBQ.

RC I cut mine with a regular jig saw.No need for water or terra cotta really .It is really easy to regulate the heat with a pizza pan or pie pan.I tried a terra cotta and it just took to long to heat up.No matter how you do it ....you are gonna love this little mini smoker.Let us know how it goes.

RC, I think Glen and I have boh been saying the same thing for a while regarding the terra cotta plate as a diffuser. You use up valuable fuel heating the terra cotta up when you should be heating your mini. I just used my steamer tray wrapped in foil as my diffuser, and have never had the first problem controlling temps. Good luck, and we need to see some pics!!!
Tim

RC the bottom of my pot was grooved just like a vinyl record and was very easy to mark a line just by following one of the grooves with a small felt pen, I measured about an inch or an inch and a half and drew my line to cut with a marker. As far as the cut, I drilled a hole large enough to place the tip of a pair of aviation tin snips into and cut the marked line with the pair of tin snips...

MiniSmoker003.jpg

I then took emory cloth and sanded down the edge smooth. The aluminum pot was thin and very easy to work with.

I use a 9.5 inch terra cotta pot suspended with four 4 inch stainless bolts in this manner...

MiniSmoker-FirstSmoke012.jpg

MiniSmoker-FirstSmoke013.jpg

MiniSmoker-FirstSmoke014.jpg

I've been using the mini smoker in the above manner for over 2 years and have never had any issues getting the mini smoker started or running and if I ever built another I'd do it exactly the same.

Last edited:
two questions

1. Can one use a Reciprocating saw with metal blade
2. Cast Iron Skillet instead of terracotta pan. I have read where the terracotta breaks sometimes.

1. Can one use a Reciprocating saw with metal blade
I would not try to use a Sawzall for that cut...you'd make a mess of it unless your really clever.
My weapon of choice would be a variable speed jig saw and I'd run it slowly.
If you run too fast, aluminum will stick to the blade....you'll know it when it does.

That snip cut pictured above looks very good....helps to use the properly "handed" snips but that's journeyman's secret that I'm not supposed to let out.

;)

Actually I used the SawZall... It worked good.. Not the straightess line, but its the bottom... I bought a new blade and it is variable speed... That was the easiest mod on the mini so far... The cutting of the charcoal grate proved most difficult.

Actually I used the SawZall... It worked good.. Not the straightess line, but its the bottom... I bought a new blade and it is variable speed... That was the easiest mod on the mini so far... The cutting of the charcoal grate proved most difficult.
Good going !
The Sawzall is not the first choice because (as you know) of the width of the blade.....can't turn as easily as a jig saw.
It's also a long tool which makes control for fine work more difficult.

The #1 tool choice for cutting the charcoal grate would be a "peanut grinder" (4-1/2" angle grinder) with a "cut-off wheel".
These cut bolts (and similar) like butta.

I've made tons of cuts with Sawzalls and they're best for wood in areas where you can't reach with a Skilsaw.
That is their primary use in construction.

I also used tin snips. I have several power cutting tools but I thought the snips were the best choice for this soft metal.

I've done around 30 of them with a jig saw. A 24 TPI blade cuts like a dream. A block of wood takes off most of the burrs and a hand held knife sharpener with the carbide V blades finishes the edge.

My cut is not the best in anyway, It is the bottom, NO ONE sees it and I will correct some edges with a sander stone.

Back