Baby bullet build

Zach M

I wanted to share my Mini WSM build with you all. After building my UDS I just had to make myself a Mini for camping. I started by finding a new SJG on CL for $20 bucks. Then I got an Imulsa tamale pot at Wal-Mart. After putting the pot on the SJG I noticed that was just not as sturdy as I would like. Since I primarily wanted this thing for camping it needed to be rock solid to withstand wind, dogs, and drunken people. So I crafted a Lip out of the lid and bolted it to the bottom of the pot. I haven’t seen this done before but I can’t recommend it enough. This thing is rock solid! Wanting to use every part of the pot I then made my diffuser out of the steam rack. I used a step bit to drill larger holes and mount it upside down, works great. I made a charcoal basket out of expanded metal and a handle to lift it in and out. I can get an 8+ hour burn. The height of the basket was set just to the top of the bottom so I could place the rack on it and sear my food. I also added a conduit nut and bolt for my Maverick, keeps it level and away from the heat. To finish it off I painted to match my UDS. I must say these are phenomenal cookers. So without any more chatter here is my Baby Bullet enjoy.

128.jpg

143.jpg

442.jpg

450.jpg

471.jpg

479.jpg

592.jpg

Top notch build Zach! How did you make the charcoal basket? I want make one myself but have no metal working tools or skills.

I wanted to share my Mini WSM build with you all. After building my UDS I just had to make myself a Mini for camping. I started by finding a new SJG on CL for $20 bucks. Then I got an Imulsa tamale pot at Wal-Mart. After putting the pot on the SJG I noticed that was just not as sturdy as I would like. So I crafted a Lip out of the lid and bolted it to the bottom of the pot.

Sounds like this is one of those pots that is slightly smaller than the others that are from China. And it sounds like you found a work around... which is GREAT:D. Especially since the IMUSA pot is $16 bucks less than the Vasconia pot.

Top notch build Zach! How did you make the charcoal basket? I want make one myself but have no metal working tools or skills.

I got a sheet of expanded from a local metal supplier. Then cut and welded it all together with a cheap harbor freight welder. Had left overs from my UDS build.

200.jpg

203.jpg

209.jpg

219.jpg

445-1.jpg

467.jpg

That is a VERY sweet paint job! VHT/Dupli-Color?

I got a pint of 1200 bbq black from HD put on with a sprayer again left over from UDS build. Let cure a few days then taped and cut flames. Colors are high heat automotive paint from autoparts store. Low heat first burn to cure it.

Love the flames! You'll have to get yourself a flamed Themapen to match the mini smoker, that would look awesome! This is mine...

IMG_3839-1.jpg

Thanks for the info Zach! I copied your post and sent to my father-in-law who is copying what you did for the charcoal basket. I should be receiving it this week. It was a win-win as I get a free basket and he has an excuse to use his TIG welder.

Zack,

I also purchased the Imusa 32 qt.tamale steamer. The bottom of the pot fit perfectly on the Smokey Joe. The top of the steamer pot is slightly too large for the Smokey Joe lid. Did you have this problem also? If so, how did you fix it? Is it possible to crimp the lip of the lid back a little?

Paul

Back