Painting, curing, and the enhanced handles question

Chad Anderson

TVWBB Super Fan
I am almost ready to start the painting process on my mini. From reading earlier posts it appears that heat curing the paint (I'm using Dupli-Color paint and following A Cleland's method) at 200 in the oven is the best approach for a nice solid finish. This works well for the regular handles, the ones without the plastic/rubber grips. But what about the ones with the plastic/rubber grips...
1. Will they hold up to 200 for a few hours?
2. If I removed the grips, would there just be metal underneath like the regular handles? I'd just replace them with wood handles if removed.
3. Or should I drill the rivets out and remount when the painting is complete?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Chad Anderson, Howdy;

You could paint it and fire it up. Bring the heat up slow, let it set at 225 or so for awhile.....

easy-peezy

hank

Howdy All;

Just remember that the gass that will be escapeing from the paint
while it is 'curing' will be flammiable, and in an enclosed confined
object such as an ove they can become explosive ......... The
Industrial ovens the commerical painters use are designed to
exhaust the gasses (OSHA standards), the one in your kitchen isn't.

hank

Howdy All;

Just remember that the gass that will be escapeing from the paint
while it is 'curing' will be flammiable, and in an enclosed confined
object such as an ove they can become explosive ......... The
Industrial ovens the commerical painters use are designed to
exhaust the gasses (OSHA standards), the one in your kitchen isn't.

hank

Very good point Hank. Cleland later on in the thread mentions that he keeps the oven cracked open a little, I suppose this might be enough to prevent gas build up. However, to be on the safe side it might be a better choice to just fire up the mini and cure the paint from the inside. I just wonder if there would be a difference in how well it cures. This would also solve the handle problem.

Last edited:
Chad Anderson, Howdy;

In regards to the handles. That black plastic is generaly drilled undersized,
and the rod that will become the handle itself is heated and driven thru the plastic
by a hydraulic ram. So, it's kinda on there if you know what I mean...
You will end up fustrated, they'll come off just takes awhile, getting all of the plastic off.
Just something to ponder a bit before you commit.

hank

Chad Anderson, Howdy;

In regards to the handles. That black plastic is generaly drilled undersized,
and the rod that will become the handle itself is heated and driven thru the plastic
by a hydraulic ram. So, it's kinda on there if you know what I mean...
You will end up fustrated, they'll come off just takes awhile, getting all of the plastic off.
Just something to ponder a bit before you commit.

hank

Thanks Hank, I appreciate the advice. I do like the handles, I'm sure they are cooler to handle than bare metal when you want to move it during a cook, and they look good. Plus I'm sure you're right about them being a bear to remove. So better to leave them on and either drill out the handles for an oven cure, or do the "fire it up" method. Either way I'll be giving this a shot on Monday. I'll post some pics of the progress.

Chad, Howdy;

Didn't mean to sound like I was tryin' to make it rain on your parade,sorry if maybe it came across that way.
Lookin' forword to seein' your pix. Good luck with whichever way you go about
gettin' your results.

hank

Chad,

What did you decide to do regarding your burn? I am going to paint later this week and my pot has handles as well. My initial thought is that they can withstand a 200 degree bake, but now i'm not so sure.

Chad,

What did you decide to do regarding your burn? I am going to paint later this week and my pot has handles as well. My initial thought is that they can withstand a 200 degree bake, but now i'm not so sure.

As a matter of fact, I'm in the middle of removing the 8.5 X 11 label from the pot with Goo Be Gone. As I was cutting the stencil out I noticed that the label wasn't lifting clean enough, so I'm starting over. This time I'm laying wide masking tape down first then the label; the masking tape lifts clean. As far as curing goes, I'm just going to fire up the smoker and let the heat from within do the curing.

I just received my die cut decals yesterday, so those will be interesting. Let me know how yours turn out. The handles still concern me. I've been told that the colors turn a little darker at the bottom of the pot (after a few burns) if your using something other than black. What color are you going with?

I just received my die cut decals yesterday, so those will be interesting. Let me know how yours turn out. The handles still concern me. I've been told that the colors turn a little darker at the bottom of the pot (after a few burns) if your using something other than black. What color are you going with?

My original idea was to make a stencil in Illustrator and print it to a 8.5 X 11 sized label. I'd then just use an exacto knife to cut out the areas that I wanted painted... but label paper doesn't like to be removed cleanly. And after removing all of the label with Goo Be Gone, I noticed that the exacto knife cut into the pot, so now I have to sand out those marks:mad:
Anyway, since the sjs is a Vikings sjs,
fitsgood.jpg

(this was before I started using it... should have painted it immediately instead of 35 cooks later, less messy)

I'm going with an all purple color with a Viking stenciled onto the front and Viking horns on the side. The stencil will be gold for the most part, and have the silver of the pot showing through in other areas. Done right it will look great...but given my experience so far, my expectations are beginning to lower :rolleyes:
The Duplicolors I'm using are supposed to be rated for temps at 550, but I wouldn't be surprised is the colors darken a bit where the pot meets the bowl. The stencil is above the indentation so it should be fine... I hope.

How about you, what color have you chosen? I'd ask about Titan colors but you probably don't want to talk about that ;)

Last edited:
My blue did turn a little darker at the very bottom, but not too bad....as for decal material, I use mactac, drawer liner stuff and pealed it off after paint dried.

My blue did turn a little darker at the very bottom, but not too bad....as for decal material, I use mactac, drawer liner stuff and pealed it off after paint dried.
Your pot looks great! If I could print on that I'd use that, the label paper is a nightmare to remove. But Placing masking tape down first, then the label paper on top of that should solve the issue.

Your Viking's smoker is going to turn out awesome! I love that wooden handle (I just added Brian's to my mini) You know what would be really cool? To remove the rubber handles all together and make some wooden ones to match the lid handle. That would be awesome if it turned out right.

I love the wood handle as well. Where can I get one? I am painting my mini tomorrow and will get some pics up. I plan to run a few test cooks this weekend.

Your Viking's smoker is going to turn out awesome! I love that wooden handle (I just added Brian's to my mini) You know what would be really cool? To remove the rubber handles all together and make some wooden ones to match the lid handle. That would be awesome if it turned out right.
Yep, thought the same thing about the rubber handles... but it could be a royal pain to get those handles off.

Back