Hello from Ontario and a Question

G Savrnoch

TVWBB Super Fan
Greetings all - haven't purchased a WSM yet, but seriously considering an 18"er.

First let me start by saying I hope this does not turn into a brand war. About a year ago I jumped into the smoking world and bought a Bradley smoker. I've learned quite a lot and enjoyed my results even more. One of the reasons I jumped on the Bradley (which I bought used off of Kijiji) was it seemed like a good unit and fairly forgiving to a noob (set it and forget it).

So, no issues with the Bradley, but I've enjoyed the smoking so much that I feel like I want to jump in a little deeper. I really enjoy it. I have a little problem with toys.....you know man stuff....tools, cooking appliances, etc.... ;) wife loves it. So the question, is it worth a move to the WSM??? If so, why in your opinion??? Or am I just looking for another toy on the patio that will yield the same results as the Bradley?

I do believe I can expect better flavour from coal/chunks vs. pucks, but the cost may be some more attention to detail. Or am I wrong?

Anyways your thoughts are appreciated. If I've posted in the wrong forum, MODs please feel free to move to a more suitable one.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've eaten plenty of bbq in restaurants from electric smokers and in my opinion it doesn't come close to bbq cooked over charcoal with wood chunks. Cost wise it's really not that hard to find free wood for smoking in Ontario. I get free oak from my SILs wood pile (my wife won't let me near our oak with a saw), sugar maple from my yard, apple from a nearby orchard and occasionally buy hickory and mesquite from Home Depot or Canadian Tire. Royal Oak lump is reasonably priced at Canadian Tire and Lowes.

Welcome to the forum.

There is absolutely nothing better tasting than meat cooked with charcoal and wood!!
However, electric smokers do have a worthy place in the BBQ world. Just don't expect that old fashioned pit flavor!!

Welcome G.

Considering that your posting in a forum for Weber Grill Fans, you have to understand that we are a little biased towards the WSM. Lol.

All kidding aside, just go through the many post in this forum and others and you'll read nothing but praise for the WSM. Make the move G. You won't regret it.

Hi, G,
Welcome to the board! First off, whatever smokes your meat - if it tastes good, then it's OK. I love my 18" wsm, but I can understand the attraction of a set and forget system. Travel over to Ontario BBQ, http://www.bbqs.com/, and checkout what's there. You'll feel like a kid in a candy shop. If you can go for the 22" I'd suggest it.

And welcome to another Canuck!!

Thanks to all who have replied. I still have not pulled the trigger on the bullet ;) but I think I'm pretty close.

I have a Bradley and I Too think there is a big difference in the taste of meat cooked over charcoal/lump than the electric cooker, Don't get me wrong the Bradley is good but I will always turn to the Weber grill or WSM to do my best tasting foods to grill. The wood is very accessible instead of using the pucks and they are expensive to say the least.. JohnL

I have a buddy that does quite a bit on a Bradley! Smokes great fish but ribs, chicken And brisket nothing comes close to the WSM! It is worth it (and fun to play with as well)! Welcome to the site! Let us k ow when you take the plunge!!!

I'm totally back to charcoal now and have no regrets with my kettle or my WSMs. I wonder why I ever got away from it. Welcome to the Forum. You will not regret buying a WSM. Both mine came from Kijiji.

Back