Hello From Mequon WI

Mike Ro

Hello from Mequon WI. I all ready have a Weber Kettle grill, and a Weber Genesis gas grill, and my little Smokey Joe for tailgating at Packer and Brewer games! Now I have a 22inch WSM. I have tried St Louis style ribs and chicken. Both turned out just OK. I am still on my learning curve, but enjoying the challenge of smokin'! My only question is, do I have to make allowances for extra charcoal for the larger WSM?

Welcome Mike..you will learn tons of stuff from this site plus you cant help but have fun with your Weber Family! Looking forward to your posts in the future.

Welcome Mike! You will lern how the cooker operates in no time. And how mutch fuel for various cooks and so on. Long cooks = fill the ring.(MM) Medium cooks = a chimney and ½ - 2 Full ones.(MM) A fast chicken/turkey cook 1 chimney lit.

This actually depends alot on how tight your WSM is and ofc what brand of fuel you are using.

You will get the idea after a few ones im sure.

Mequon in the building!

Welcome to the forum Mike!
Great to see another Packer/Brewer/Badger fan in the house!

As Daniel Wolgast pointed out, your charcoal comsumption will depend on the length of your cooks.
I started out by using more than needed then re-used the leftover coal the next day.
A few more cooks, you'll get use to it..
good luck!!

HI Mike! Welcome! Lots of good people here and so much info. and knowledge it's awesome! I look forward to some pics of some cooks! See you around!

Last edited:
Welcome Sam. Daniel gave you sound advice and he should know! Like Jim, I did and still do, use too much charcoal. The best thing you can do is keep at those ribs. Good Luck!

Back