New guy with a WSM, OTS and Go Anywhere

Justin Beatty

New guy here, originally from Arkansas (returning in a year), currently stationed in Virginia Beach, VA in the Navy. My dad has been a butcher for 30+ years so I grew up around grilling/smoking a LOT. I recently sold my side fire box smoker (Char Griller Smokin Pro) for a 18.5" WSM after much research from this site and others. I also have a 18.5" OTS, 2010 model I found on the curb on trash day! No rust at all, it was in perfect condition but sat on a curb by a trash can (yes it was on trash day :) My most recent purchase was a gas Go Anywhere for $5 at a yard sale, only problem is the ignitor is broke/missing). I've only got 3 cooks on the WSM but love it so far, much better than my CGSP with SFB. I've had the OTS for about 6 months and it's amazing for anything grilled. I stay stocked up on Kingsford blue from holiday sales and grill or smoke at least once a week. A little about me, I'm a Sonar Technician in the Navy, been in for 8 years and have one more left until I move back home to Arkansas. Arkansas will always be home and I've really enjoyed my time in the Navy but its just taking too much time away from home, friends and family. I grew up in the outdoors and enjoy hunting, fishing, camping, ATVs, big trucks, fast cars, and just about anything else outside. I've learned a lot from this site already, and am glad to be here!

Justin
Welcome aboard. Thanks for your military service. I lived in Chesapeake and worked in Virginia Beach before moving to Mississippi. I've got a lot of family there still. I don't blame you for wanting to get back to Arkansas. The way that area has grown it's getting hard to tell where D.C. / Alexandria stops and Hampton Roads begins especially if you enjoy the outdoors...

Hello Justin! first and most importantly, thank you for your service and secondly, welome! you sound like you have plenty of experience and are just plain lucky with your dumpster diving and yard sales;), I'd rather be lucky then good sometimes. Look forward to seeing some pics, happy hunting:cool:

Last edited:

Back