Normal temp of q200 Fixed it with a little work on hose

Gary S Smith

TVWBB Fan
Help guys I got a q200 from cl a couple of weeks ago and when I started cleaning it really had a bad odor. This did not deter me so I attacked it with Ezoff oven cleaner and 1 and 1/2 cans later it was clean. I removed every screw and took the whole thing apart and put it back together. Then I seasoned the grate a couple of times till I thought it was good.

Now the problem: I was going to cook tonight and wanted it to be as hot as possible so I started the propane (from a 20 pound bottle) and let it warm up for about 20 min. Added the onions and hot dogs for a simple first cook.. Thinking it was not hot enough I put a surface thermometer on the grate and measured the solid parts of the grate with my IR thermometer the highest temp I recorded was about 400 both devices. Is this normal or should it get hotter. I don't know what is the norm and for me 400 is not sufficient.

The flame (in the dark) was blue but only about 1/4 inch tall. Is this normal.

I really was hoping the grill would come in handy for cooks for one person..If this is the top temp I will put it back on cl and just use my performer and the Genesis Platinum I

thanks in advance

Sounds to me like you kicked the safety on the 20# adapter ! You have to be sure the Q is in the off position and then open the valve on the tank slow . Once in a great while you have to disconect the whole thing and start over . 400 is way to low for a 20 minute warm up .

Mine seems to work best when I open the tank first to were it just gives way then slow from there . Only had the safety kick once all summer but it was my fault the Q was on and I didn't notice it befor I turned on the tank .

wELL i Went out this am and put the 14 oz container on the grill and heated it for 20 min. this time the temp was about 625 (both methods). Let it cool and then connected the 20 pound propane.. It too went to 625 after about 20 min. I have used propane for many years and have never had a setup so sensitive to how you turn on the gas. The safety which is going off must be in the ACME connector which is GReen. I don't know if they are color coded or what, but I think it must be too sensitive to the initial flow of gas. SO--- I am going to a propane store to see if they have a less sensitive one, or one with no safety. After all there is a safety in the 20 pound bottle and I see no good reason to have one in the connector as well as one at the regulator.
Will keep you all posted as to my progress.

My Q200 get very hot, and I'll check the grate temp the next time I use it. However, I know what you are saying about the stench that comes from the grill after using it a few times.

If you burn off the grill about 10 minutes or so after a cook and then use a brush on the grates while its hot then let it cool and clean the bowl under with a plastic spatuala you won't get the stench. Atleast thats what I do and NO smell even after 3 fish cooks .

Well I paid very close attention to the opening of the 20 pound bottle and almost no matter how slow I turned it on I could hear a small click (one of the safeties closing). So I removed the hose from the bottle, removed the regulator from the grill and I was off to the propane store to see what I could do to fix this dang problem. I was a Propane dealer about 30 years ago and back then we had no safety on anything. The owner of the propane store said that my problem was very common and for most folks he recommended replacing the Acme connection, however mine was fastened to the hose with a crimp and he had nothing to replace it with.

After a lot of talk about long ago he and I decided to drill the small bleed hole in the Acme connector to a larger size and hope for the best. Here is where I learned a few things. That hose is pressurized at all times with a valve at each end not just the Acme. I drilled it with a very large 3/16 inch bit and when it went through the brass It then put a hole in a rubber washer (that is when I learned the hose was full of liquid propane). I drilled some more thinking I might just disable the whole thing.

Well not advising anyone to do the above but It totally fixed my problem no more clicking no more low heat and now I think I will keep the grill.

Another way to accomplish the same thing is to get a hose with a POL instead of the Acme.

Even with the removal of one safety I still have a flow safety in the propane bottle, and another in the adapter attached to the regulator, so I am not worried about the missing one

for people getting the low heat output, what does your flame look like? weak?

I have always felt my Q200 was struggling to put out good heat. I always cook on high with it whereas I am used to turning down pervious propane grills to medium or low to do the actual cooking. I don't have an IR thermometer to check though. My flame height on high is about 3/4"

Back