temp control on the mini

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I have found that if I set the bottom vent to 1/4" open as measured with an allen wrench and top vent 100% open, I can maintain 235 - 240* with K (hickory chips embedded), and a full pan of water, with 12 lit to start a minion fire. Do others get similar results ...or how do you do it?

Last edited:
Curious----- did you cut out the bottom of the tamale pot or drill holes? What are you usIng as a diffuser?

My mini maxes out at about 275 wide open with both top and bottom dampers (I installed side dampers but haven't needed em yet). I drilled 11/16" holes based on the steamer template and I am using a 10.5" terra cotta diffuser wrapped in foil. I also use the SS pet bowl to keep ash from clogging the bottom damper(suppose I could ditch this and use the side dampers I installed). I just like that with a minor adjustment to my bottom damper I can be 250 and get at least a 7 hour burn with royal oak lump and wood chunks.

I am interested to hear others feedback as I am sure it will vary just as their design of their mini WSM will vary.

My mini bullet is a SJG and no matter whether I start with 11 lit or half a chimney, it won't hardly get over 250. It just gets there faster with half a chimney.. That is with the top 100 percent open and both side vents 100 percent open.. Once I got it up to 275.

I'm thinking of adding another vent like the SJS but about 1/3 of the way up so I can get it up to 300-350 for chicken or High Heat brisket. I like that the temp doesn't ever run away but occasionally want to see it hotter.

I'm thinking on the SJG the vents are higher than the charcoal basket and a lower vent location would help force the air through the coals as opposed to just drawing over it and out the top...

Thoughts?

I am not sure how high I can go (yet), but I'm glad It doesn't top as low as you guys for the HH brisket and chicken (as mentioned above). It must be the difference in design/build. I use a SJS w/ deep dish pie pan wrapped in foil with water in it and cut the entire bottom out of the pottom of the tamale pot to emulate the WSM. It works like a charm. I maintain VERY steady temps for hours with a very small opening in the bottom vent. Pretty much set it and forget it. It rides up and down within 5* plus or minus a cpl degrees all day long.

My mini bullet is a SJG and no matter whether I start with 11 lit or half a chimney, it won't hardly get over 250. It just gets there faster with half a chimney.. That is with the top 100 percent open and both side vents 100 percent open.. Once I got it up to 275.

I'm thinking of adding another vent like the SJS but about 1/3 of the way up so I can get it up to 300-350 for chicken or High Heat brisket. I like that the temp doesn't ever run away but occasionally want to see it hotter.

I'm thinking on the SJG the vents are higher than the charcoal basket and a lower vent location would help force the air through the coals as opposed to just drawing over it and out the top...

Thoughts?

William you can first try cracking the lid a little to get more air flow. I have a Silver converted to a Gold and I just need to set the lid a little off the pot to get more air and higher temps.

I even tried putting an extra grate on the bottom so the tamale pot doesn't seat.. It leaves about a 1/4 gap all the way around. Still no luck.

The other problem could be the clay pot is mounted too low and is smothering the charcoal...

I'm using kinsford blue, the tamale pot bottom is completely removed except for about 1/2 inch around the edge for strength but the clay pot is mounted about halfway between where the bottom is and where the steamer tray would be..

Thoughts?
That is just how lil.red acts.; I'm thinking of putting the charcoal basket and the tamale pot on a SJS base and seeing what temp I get to. Alternatively, I'll try a smaller terra cotta saucer

OTOH if cracking the lid gives higher temps then I'll put another damper wheel up there

Last edited:
I am not sure how high I can go (yet), but I'm glad It doesn't top as low as you guys for the HH brisket and chicken (as mentioned above). It must be the difference in design/build. I use a SJS w/ deep dish pie pan wrapped in foil with water in it and cut the entire bottom out of the pottom of the tamale pot to emulate the WSM. It works like a charm. I maintain VERY steady temps for hours with a very small opening in the bottom vent. Pretty much set it and forget it. It rides up and down within 5* plus or minus a cpl degrees all day long.

Dwain---Do you just have your deep dish pie pan resting on the lip of the pot cutout? how often do you have to fill it up with water to help keep the temp down? Been toying with the idea of cutting my entire bottom out, but i like the convenience of being able to throw wood chunks, tongs, thermo, etc in it for tailgating when the lid is strapped on and being transported.......

these are very consistent cookers indeed---- mine easily cruised between 250-260 for 7 yours this past friday choked down a little. i havent had the need to cook anything over 275, so i havent used my side dampers i installed, but i know i can easily get over 275 with those bad boys. pics:
6f4d3e2b.jpg

4738add3.jpg

Last edited:
I even tried putting an extra grate on the bottom so the tamale pot doesn't seat.. It leaves about a 1/4 gap all the way around. Still no luck.

The other problem could be the clay pot is mounted too low and is smothering the charcoal...

I'm using kinsford blue, the tamale pot bottom is completely removed except for about 1/2 inch around the edge for strength but the clay pot is mounted about halfway between where the bottom is and where the steamer tray would be..

That reminds me.. my difuser is an aluminum pie pan on top of the steamer insert which rests on the notch/bead of the pot insert holder.. when I want more air flow I raise the pie pan by placing about one-two inch spacers (like empty tin cans) betweem the pie pan/difuser and steamer insert.. this combined with cracking the lid a little get more air flow and heat going.

btw I also drilled many additional holes in the steamer insert and enlarged the existing ones.

I do the same thing, but without the water, and get the same results. If I do leave the bottom vent on my sjs wide open I've reached temps as high as 450. I followed Chris A's build here almost to the letter, the exception being a 12" pie pan instead of a clay pot saucer, and a "clog free" air vent can I made (we'll see if it's really clog free on the longer 15 hour cooks).

Last edited:
I've had mine go to about 325° when maxing out the charcoal and using just a metal pie pan with no water. My steamer bottom was cut leaving a 1-1/2" lip on the bottom. I have an old grate resting on the steamer bottom edges. I have a 28 oz tomato can cut down to just below the coal grate and church-keyed, to cover the bottom vent holes.

At first, I used the 12" terra cotta saucer and couldn't get high enough heats. Then I switched to the pie plate and got to much heat. Then I switched to a 10" terra cotta saucer and found Baby Bear - JUST RIGHT!

I find it pretty easy to reach and maintain a smoker temp between 230-240° and can adjust it with the bottom and top air vents. I try to close the bottom vent the most because somewhere I read that starving a fire for oxygen is healthier than retaining products of combustion for too long. Made sense and it seems to work for me. I just ordered a set of vent covers and will probably drill out the sides to accommodate them.

Small as these mini smokers are I am wondering if you really need a water pan.I stop using a water pan in the wsm several years ago and never looked back,but thats just me.If it works for you thats fine.

Glen, this is something I've been posting for quite some time. (formerly Tim the grillaholic) I see no reason at all to use a water pan or a heat sink at all in these little smokers. with the limited amount of space in the charcoal bowl, it would seem to me that you want to get the most out of your fuel. Spending fuel heating a terra cotta plate, or water in a bowl just doesn't make sense (IMHO). All I use in my mini is the steamer tray (cut down to size) covered with 3 layers of HD aluminum foil. On a regular basis I have been able to get 10 hours out of a bowl of Stubbs briquettes. Again, this is just my opinion, but I think people are wasting some time and fuel when they use a tera cotta base or a water bowl.
Good luck, Tim

Spending fuel heating a terra cotta plate, or water in a bowl just doesn't make sense

I'm beginning to agree. I cooked some chicken with a water pan and I wanted to get to 300 -ish* but could get over 285*. The food was good but I couldn't get to the temp I wanted to crisp the skin.

I'm beginning to agree. I cooked some chicken with a water pan and I wanted to get to 300 -ish* but could get over 285*. The food was good but I couldn't get to the temp I wanted to crisp the skin.
I like my wings with crisp skin too so to finish em on the mini I pull the pot off and crisp em on the smokey joe bottom and use as a grill......

Back