New 18.5 Temp Gage

Keith Boyd

First cook on my new 18.5 WSM and I can't get temp above 200 F with full ring of lit K. I think it's proably the temperature gage. Anyone else have problems with the new Weber gages?

Been discussed a few times. A few of us have tested ours using boiling water and they test out fine. I have theorized that the shorter stem (1.5 inch) on the Weber therm accounts for the different readings we new owners are getting compared to owners who have installed 3-5" stemmed Tel-Tru's in their older WSM's.

My grate temp using my Maverick ET-73 consistently reads more than my dome temp on the Weber therm and both therms test out fine in boiling water. Whereas users with Tel-Trus often report their dome temps being higher than their grate temps.

All of that said, if you have a full charcoal ring of lit and all of the vents open, you should be able to run the stock therm up well past 200, even given the different temps seen on the Weber therm...I'm able to do 200-225 with 10-20 lit briqs in a few minutes. I suspect I could hit 500+ with a full lit charcoal ring.

Are all of your vents open? Where are you? Altitude? What is the ambient temp? You should probably test your therm in boiling water to be sure.

I'm in Kansas City, essentially sea level. All vents wide open. Ambient temp is 70 F. Currently registering 200 F.

I had one of the old WSM's with a Tel-Tru and it always ran in the 230-250 range. Wish I had my old unit back.

After the cook later this evening I will run a test with boiling water. Next step will be to get a Tel-Tru.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Looks like I got a bad gauge </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adjust it. Usually the back rotates so you can set the needle at 212 when boiling.

I don't test mine frequently in boiling water, but when I get them out, I do look at them to see if reading about 70ish while in the house. A wide variance (like yours of 27) would show even at room temp. Does it really feel like its 43 degrees in the house, or 23 degrees outside right now (assuming its 50ish in KC)?

Good suggestion about the adjustment but I've already taken it back to the place I bought it. They swapped it out for a Tel-Tru and didn't even ask any questions. That's what I call excellent customer service!

I also have had same problems with the new lid therm ,,it ran at least 20-30 below readings on maverick and wasnt until about 4 hours into the cook it seemed to settle in a bit, but still read 15 lower than the maverick.Will this type of therm react to temp changes slower than a maverick? will have to test the therm in boiling water to check readings.

tested it tonight in boiling water and it looks like ive got one of the faulty ones. It only reads just over 70c.

Back