Mad Hunky/Tatonka Dusted Weber Rotisserie Chicken with a little Tube Smoke

Marty Owens

TVWBB Fan
First charcoal cook since we purchased the Yoder. I have been longing to use charcoal again and happened to pick up a Weber Rotisserie for $50 so it was a no brainier to do chicken first.

Started out by soaking two chickens in Mad Hunky brine for 8 hours with a flip in the middle. We have used this product before and knew for not having cooked over charcoal in a while using the brine was an additional promise to not drying out the chicken.

-----

Here they are all hog tied, with an onion up the hen's butt's and good to go...

-----

Here is my tube smoker idea for a Weber rotisserie... I think this would work as well on a WSM or a drum smoker, the smoke never missed a beat. Then I set a ring of coals around the exterior of the bottom of the kettle using a pizza pan covered in aluminum foil to keep the briquettes too the side for an indirect cook while not putting any coals under the tube to prevent the pellets from igniting; it worked out great.

-----

The chickens were rubbed down with some olive oil and seasoned with Tatonka Dust. Here is after about an hour in with the Weber running 375º to 325º, was having trouble keeping it steady.

-----

Here we are another hour later, temps running much better.

-----

Here I fired up the Yoder to heat up some home made freezer corn and store bought, frozen garlic dinner rolls.

-----

Here is the chickens after reaching temp and just before they were pulled.

-----

Proof is in the onion... told you it was there!

-----

What a meal... the chicken was juicy, flavorful and absolutely delicious if I do say so myself!

-----

This was a very fun cook, been a while since I cooked outside of the Yoder. Every now and then I got to get dirty with charcoal!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

Back