Meat Thermometer - Are there any worth a darn?

I've gone through 4 different remote thermometers. 2 Taylors, a Maverick and a generic. It seems to be that the wired probes that dont last and they dont seem to be interchangeable. I've got a couple hand held instant reads, but they are more money and I use them for another purpose.
I'm thinking of switching to a reliable leave-in dial thermo like one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002FYE3G6/?tag=TVWB-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004XSC8/?tag=TVWB-20

What do you guys use?

I use the Maverick ET732 with the reinforced wires and heavy duty probes. You have to order the reinforced wires extra. It has been worth the extra money. If you don't want to use the ET732, I also use this in my upper vent on the WSM and my kettles to get the dome temps. I have tried the leave in type thermos and didn't find them very reliable.

typo

Thanks Mike.
Lots of complaints about the stock ET732 probe.
Is this the reinforced probe?

I haven't had any problems with my ET-732 probes (or wires), nor have I seen any complaints. But there were TONS of complaints about the probes of the ET-73.

Probes from different thermos are definitely NOT interchangeable -- they're designed as part of the instrument and each have different specifications. It's not just a wire and a piece of metal.

I have two -- the ET-732 and an older non-remote probe type. Both have been reliable with no problems. I've used a number of hand-held "instant reads" -- all fine (but not "instant") but you have to be sure where the sensor is located to get a valid measure. I recently got a Thermapen in the sale and that has now replaced the other hand helds and serves in various other ways (including air temperature -- cool :cool: ).

Rich

I use a Nu-temp 701 but they don't seem to be available anymore.

You really can't put put thermometers inside smokers as the smoke will obscure the display.

I am very tempted to try the Maverick line, but so far I've used the Thermoworks kitchen thermometer with probe. I have had 2 die on me in about 5 years. Mostly they get unreadable. Probes are replaceable and available. I have 2 or 3 spares just in case, but I use mine in the oven where the probe will sometimes die if I go over their recommended temperature. They are fine for smoking, not so good for straight, hot barbecue. I have a set up for that if I need to, but for smoking in the under 300F range, the Kitchen thermometer works fine. In fact, I just finished giving a 5 kilos of bacon a second shot of hickory smoke on the Weber. I used the probe, dangled through the top vent, to monitor my grate temperature. Thermoworks, like Maverick, have a great reputation for customer service, though not quite as free with replacement probes. But they are not expensive, so it is not a big deal.

I'm in the market for a new remote therm. I want to try the Maverick, but the reviews are so mixed. What's a guy to do?

I have a 73 and have been using it for years, maverick support was geat a few years ago but can't speak to it now.

I'm in the market for a new remote therm. I want to try the Maverick, but the reviews are so mixed. What's a guy to do?

I love my Maverick 732. I have found that after my Oregon wireless meat thermometer ate it that you have to be careful when washing the probes. Wish I'd known about the reinforced probes for the Maverick when I got it, great idea.

I'm not sure what the problems are with the Maverick that people are saying, but I could not BBQ without it, and sometimes I use it for grilling as well. I love it. I use it mainly for the grate temperature though, and my Thermapen for meat doneness. Both are my mainstays - if either one of them ate it tomorrow I'd be in line to buy another.

Good luck -

Laura

...You really can't put put thermometers inside smokers as the smoke will obscure the display.

HA HA HA. On one day when alcohol was hard at work, I accidentally placed one of my Maverick transmitters inside the WSM. And three hours later when I lifted the lid, there it was, all melted down and embracing the grill. You know that painting by Dali with the pocket watch wrapped around the tree trunk!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Last edited:
I agree with having problems with unreliable digital meat thermometers. I am on a competive BBQ team and we can't seem to find a consistently reliable meat thermometer. We have tried many of 4 or 5 different brands (including the Maverick 732) and after a few months it seems they start reading incorrect temperatures. We are very careful with the probes to make sure we don't get them wet, and still after a short time the problems start. Does anyone have a thermometer they would recommend that consistently work more than a few months?

I have a Pyrex probe thermometer that I've used for years. I also have a Polder combination thermometer/timer that seems to work fine, although I've only had that about six months.

I am also in the market for a new digital thermometer. I will likely be getting one as a Christmas gift but I have to suggest the right one to Santa. I have been looking at the Maverick 732 as well. Seems that at some point everything breaks so if I get a year or so out of it I am going to be happy enough (sad way to look at the durability of an item). I had a cheap one I got at ACE for $19 that lasted a few years but wasn't wireless. The Mav seems to be what I am looking for.

I found this review while looking around. It explains all the features quite simply. I will post my own review after the new year.

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?11207-Maverick-ET-732-Review

I just got an iGrill and so far, it's been great. Thermapen is outstanding too.

I see no need to monitor meat temps for barbecue - or for any meat that is cooked to tender rather than cooked till a safe internal is achieved like chicken. Even for chicken, or pork belly being smoked for bacon, or a rib roast being cooked to, say, 125˚, I don't bother monitoring internal temps. It's easy to simply stick a Thermapen in after a while, get an instant reading, then gauge whatever time seems necessary till the meat is next checked.

I see no need to monitor meat temps for barbecue - or for any meat that is cooked to tender rather than cooked till a safe internal is achieved like chicken. Even for chicken, or pork belly being smoked for bacon, or a rib roast being cooked to, say, 125˚, I don't bother monitoring internal temps. It's easy to simply stick a Thermapen in after a while, get an instant reading, then gauge whatever time seems necessary till the meat is next checked.

Probably spot on but I have to sit out by the cooker with a nice cool drink watchin the thermometer to be sure it doesn't move. :D

As I mentioned, I am mightily fond of the Thermoworks stuff. I've noticed on their current iteration of the "oven probe timer/thermometer" the probes now have a high heat silicone covering over the junction of the metal probe and the cable. Likely to help promote longevity and protect from moisture. These have worked well for me and with the fairly low cost of replacement probes, I but a couple of those and throw them in my spares drawer.

I also have their k-type dual lead thermometer, which I have some reservations about but overall like. I use it for smoking since I can run one probe to monitor the interior temp while the second one monitors the meat temp. But it eats batteries if I forget to turn it off after a smoke. But since it is quite accurate, I use it to check the settings on the kitchen oven and so forth. Handy gadget to have.

Other makers have features I much admire and I am sometimes very tempted to try a different brand. The ability to log temperatures and to check them via a computer program or phone app has a lot of appeal for me. But for the simple LOS (Line of Sight) stuff, I do recommend the relatively inexpensive Thermoworks Oven Timer/Thermometer and a couple of spare probes just in case.

Back