Useful Burn time

Hank H

TVWBB Member
Howdy All;

What amounts of time do ya'll get when you (using the Minion method) with a SJS;

1) load up the grate (no basket) ?

2) with using a 3.5" high basket ?

a) full

b) 1/2 full

c) you tell me what amount and time ...

3) fill the bowel (no grate), except for the air breather can ?

Please be as generious with your method as you wish and please
explain why you choose the method you employ ... :)

Thanks for sharing your experience.

hank

Last edited:
Howdy All;

What amounts of time do ya'll get when you (using the Minion method) with a SJS;

a) full

b) 1/2 full

hank

I would like to here some feedback as well. I made an EM basket 3.5" tall, filled 1/2 was with royal oak lump but looking to see if i can improve with different set up.) Also mine has large step drill holes but may still cut out bottom. Any feedback on that would be appreciated as well.

Howdy All;

a) full

b) 1/2 full

hank

I use a basket

Using the basket I use 40 unlit KC briquets, a little less than half a chimney, and add 10 lit KC briquets. I place the lit briquets on top of the unlit and in the center of the basket along with a small chunk of smoke wood. With added vent controlling, this gives me at least six to eight hours of consistent 230 degree temps with a quite few briquets left over. I use this method because I haven't needed to go longer or hotter with a session on the mini...yet.

Last edited:
I would like to here some feedback as well. I made an EM basket 3.5" tall, filled 1/2 was with royal oak lump but looking to see if i can improve with different set up.) Also mine has large step drill holes but may still cut out bottom. Any feedback on that would be appreciated as well.

I cut the bottom out using 12" pie pan as the template. The only issue I have noticed is if my ribs extend beyond the 12" pie/drip pan, those ends that extended are a little more cooked that I like. So I added an inch of foil along the edge of the bottom grate and this seems to have solved the issue.

I have maybe 20 cooks on this little smoker... and I am finding that I need to use briquets rather than lump due to the self lighting nature of the briquets. I have much better success in the flame traveling around the bowl. I like using lump because of less ash build up... but I find the uneven sizes of the lump to not give good contact between the pieces. I have an inverted dish (actually an electric stove burner drip pan) that sits above the SJS vent, I use a charcoal grate and build a horseshoe around the bowl including chunks of applewood or other. I probably use 2/3 of a Weber chimney of unit, and start 15 briquets in a smaller homemade chimney to kick it off. I can get a steady 3 hours at 235- 250 measured at the center grill grate without messing with it... then I probably have to stir the coals or tend them to keep the chain moving along. I can get 8 hours on a full chimney... but it isn't fuss free.

Robb, I've tried lump too, and with the same results you've had. The ash build up is a pain, but I made a custom vent can that seems to have eliminated any clogging issues.... so I'm sticking with the briquets for now.

Back