What do do for a first cook?

J Long

There's a great butcher shop in St Libory, IL that I will be visiting this afternoon to pick up something so I can learn how to use my mini tomorrow. This will be my first low n slow, so I don't know where to start. But, I was thinking either baby backs, pork butt, or brisket. What do y'all think?

Whatever gets the most responses by 2pm today wins! Haha. Btw I can't promise pics bc this might be ugly! But, if it looks anything like some of the great cook pics I've seen on here, I'll post em up tomorrow.

IMHO: Pork Butt. The fat cap will help season the inside as you cook and it is a forgiving piece of meat while learning the ins and outs of the new mini. I also recommend the Renowned Mr Brown recipe.

Last edited:
Well thanks to your replies, I went with the pork butt. I fired the mini this morning at 9:30 using the minion method. Once the cooker got to 250 it was just a matter of fiddling with the bottom vents of the SJG. It held 220-250 for the whole time, no babysitting, and it recovered quickly every time I raised the cover to spray AJ.
1344727561.jpg

the butt weighed 4.5 lbs and this is it after 6 hrs 45 min, with just a little mesquite mixed in with the kingsford:
1344727541.jpg

I rested it in the cooler wrapped in aluminum foil for about 45 min before pulling it:
1344727543.jpg

And here it is pulled and unsauced. I was happy to see a nice smoke ring, that was encouraging!
1344727464.jpg

Sorry I dont have plated pics but after smelling the cook all day, it was time to get after it.
Honestly, I've had better PP than this, but considering its my first time at bat, I think it turned out pretty good and it was fun to do. I didnt follow the Renowned Mr. Brown, just because I'm lazy and bought some ready made rub. Next time out, I'll try a rub recipe and add a little more smoke wood. Thanks for looking at the first of many more efforts!

You are hooked.....these mini smokers are just great.Nothing wrong with buying premixed rubs ...some of us do it all the time.Hard to believe thats your first smoke on the mini.....that butt looks perfect,bet it taste mighty fine.

After things settle down here & Kid is back in collage & Labor day weekend is gone I got to build Me one of these little smokers. My dutch oven group is doing a cooking fund raiser to raise some money for an Old Fashion 1880's Baseball team from Wichita,Ks in Oct. I may smoke a butt or 2 and make some home made rolls in dutch oven. J Long your pork butt looks great. Wishbone-ks

Back