Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
Roasted Tomatillo Salsa, c/o Rick Bayless Mexican Everyday.

6 medium tomatillos, rinsed, halved
4 garlic cloves, skin on.
1-2 jalapeno or serrano, or a mild poblano pepper (to taste)
½ cup rough chopped cilantro
½ small white onion, finely chopped
salt and pepper
squeeze of lime, to taste

In a non-stick skillet (or on aluminum foil under the broiler) roast the tomatillos , garlic, and peppers until tomatillos are dark and soft. Garlic can be grilled on a cast iron skillet with no oil at medium heat. It’ll take about 15 minutes. Test by feel. Garlic should be soft, but not mushy. Let cool. Remove skins from garlic.

Put tomatillos and garlic into food processer and pulse until smooth. Add chopped peppers. When cool, add onion and cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Salt and pepper to taste.

Thanks for posting this Gary, there was a request or two for it on my salsa thread.
It sounds very tasty and easy, just the way I like recipes.

Thanks Bob. I prefer to grill the tomatillos, naturally. Slice them in half across the equator, grill each side and go from there... Good stuff.

Thanks for posting Gary, and for mentioning that you grill the tomatillos. That was my question reading the recipe. Have you ever made this with canned tomatillos?

Have you ever made this with canned tomatillos?
They come in a can?
If you can get Hatch chiles which are in season right now get them. I am a fan of the Sandias
I don't think the hatches make it out this far east. I think you Californians must eat them all! I can get poblano, jalapeno, habanero, serrano, and that's about it. It's sad really...

Gary
I recall a photo post you made a few weeks back (tacos, I think) and you had a pic of the grilled tomatillos. Your sauce looked great. Do you grill the other ingredients? Or just the tomatillos?
Thanks!

Gary
I recall a photo post you made a few weeks back (tacos, I think) and you had a pic of the grilled tomatillos. Your sauce looked great. Do you grill the other ingredients? Or just the tomatillos?
Thanks!
Grill the tomatillos and garlic. The onion and jalapeno are raw. You can grill the jalapeno if you like a milder flavor.

Back