Pork Butt on Mini-WSM

Robb Kruger

TVWBB Member
After a few chickens, wings, and fatties I decided to give a boneless pork shoulder a go on the mini. Build thread is here - http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117974 and this has proven to be a very reliable and easy to use rig. Certainly has been a lot of fun to say "Yeah, I built that!" and deliver great food as well.

So I bought a 2 pack at Costco, threw one in the freezer, dabbed on a decent rub, loaded the bottom with Kingford Blue and some Egg lump I had left, added apple wood chunks for smoke.

main.php

... and 8 hours later....

main.php

main.php

main.php

I fired it up right after church and we had very nice sandwiches for dinner around 7:30. Was a great day to spend cleaning the garage and smelling the smokey goodness. I love this thing!

Last edited:
whoa, that is a great looking Butt and a darn efficient smoker!!! Plus you get the pride of knowing that you built it!!!

Great looking cook there. I just built mine and did the burn in seasoning with a fatty, now I am looking forward to the first cook. I think you've convince me that cook needs to be a butt for some pulled pork.

I also use the mav and simply run the cables under the lid. There's a warning about running the cables under this way so, on the kettle and WSM I cut a slit for them to rest in ...but I don't think the mini lid is heavy enough to cause damage. Have you encountered any ill affect by doing this?

Last edited:
On the Mav 732 wires, no, I have not noticed any wear or anything else adverse to the wires by letting them just ride on the edge of the base. Smoke certainly creeps out there... but this rig is so stable I can pretty much not touch it from start to finish. In 8 hours, I took the lid off twice. I removed the entire pot and cover together 3 times to work the coals.
Temps in the cooker stayed between 235 and 265 during the cook, and I pulled the butt off when the IT thermo read 195. Wrapped it in foil for 30 minutes and then pulled it.

One last thing... I use a terra cotta base inside and I really like the way that it helps hold the heat. It is amazing to watch that you can close this smoker off completely and still have temps in the 150 - 175 range more than an hour later.

Last edited:
Thx. I am using a deep dish pie pan wrapped with foil and filled with water in an effort to emulate the WSM. I may go pick up a terra cota flower pot base but the water works fairly well.

Back