Greetings from North Carolina

AshtonW

Hello everyone. My name is Ashton and I'm currently living in Raleigh, but originally come from the rural Northern part of the state. I've been browsing the site for a while and finally decided to take the plunge into smoking. I decided on the 18.5" WSM since I'm a novice, although I have helped my girlfriend's father with a few of his smokes (ribs, pulled pork, brisket mostly) and that got me hooked. My girlfriend's favorite food is ribs (good catch, huh?) so i think I will smoke a few spare rib racks this weekend and invite a few people over for barbecue, beers and some tunes.

Smoking will be a new experience for me, but I'm looking forward to charging ahead. I love my sous vide immersion cooker and was planning a new batch of home brew (IPA maybe), but now that the UPS man has knocked on my door during my writing of this post to drop off my WSM, I think it's time to put all those old gadgets aside and dive in to the smoker!

Look forward to chatting with everyone.

-Ashton

Ashton,

Good luck this weekend on the smoke. I am still a novice myself but have already tried several different recipes on my ribs including rubs and sauce. I had to find the perfect combination of sweet and heat for my wife. The WSM was definitely worth the money for me. I was smoking on a Lowes special Master Forge. It did the job but I had to baby sit it a lot. Since you are new to smoking you may not know about The Meat House on Falls of the Neuse road in raleigh. Definitely go there if you havent already. They have a great selection of meats as well as wood chunks, rubs, and a lot of other cool stuff. We were up there this past weekend and loved it. Oh, they also have a great selection of beer too that you wont find at the local grocery store.

Meat and beer is always a great combination! Thanks for the suggestion Alan. I picked up a pork belly there one time that I cooked sous vide and then deep fried. Now that I'm making the plunge I need to make my way back over there to explore. The only smoker I've had experience with was the El Cheapo Brinkmann so I look forward to working with a more refined tool.

Back