Adam Perry Lang Pork Butt Recipe

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
Has anyone ever tried this? I think I'll give it a go with my next butt.

Award Winning Competition Barbecue Pork Butt Recipe
Recipe courtesy Adam Perry Lang from Daisy May's
Prep Time: 45 min Inactive Prep Time: 30 min Cook Time: 6 hr 0 min

Ingredients

1 (8-pound) pork butt
4 cups wood chips, soaked in water for 1 hour
Brine, recipe follows
Garlicky Marinade, recipe follows
Dry Rub, recipe follows
Mop Spray, recipe follows
Barbeque Sauce, recipe follows

Preheat a charcoal grill to 225 degrees F. Carefully edge the coals to 1 side and then add 1/2 cup drained wood chips. Place 1 cup of water in metal drip pan on opposite side.

Inject the pork butt with brine about every 2-inches and then rub with marinade and dust with dry rub. Place the pork on the grill, directly over the drip pan and cook. Be sure to replenish the coals as the temperatures drops, the chips as the smoke dissipates and the water in the drip pan.

After 6 hours, spray the pork with cider mop every half hour. Cook until a thermometer placed into the thickest part of pork reaches 195 degrees F. Transfer to a platter, brush with the sauce and let rest 30 minutes. To serve, slice into 1/2-pound servings, place on plates and serve with extra sauce alongside.

What to drink: American Lager Beer

Brine:
1 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Combine all ingredients in a bowl until the salt and sugar dissolve and then place into meat syringe for immediate brining or reserve, refrigerated, for later use.

Garlicky Barbecue Marinade:
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon garlic, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
Place all ingredients into a blender and puree. Remove to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until needed.

Dry Rub:
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sweet paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup dry mustard
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons crab boil seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix well and store in an air tight container for later use.

Cider Mop Spray:
1 cup apple juice
1 cup water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix well to combine and store in the refrigerator until needed.

Barbecue Sauce:
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup smoked bacon, cut into rectangles about 1-inch long and 1/2-inch wide
1/2 cup sweet (Vidalia or Maui) onion, minced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup tomato ketchup
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup apricot preserves
1/4 cup apple juice
Cider vinegar
Heat the oil in a saucepan set over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until browned and crispy, about 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the onion, garlic, onion power, garlic powder, black pepper, and cloves. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the sugar and water and then bring to a simmer. Stir in the ketchup, mustard, honey, preserves and juice and then simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and season with the vinegar. Remove the bacon with a spider and discard. Puree the mixture with a hand blender and then cool and reserve for later use.

Gerry, way too much work for me as compared to rub meat with rub, throw on smoker,and enjoy.

Yup..way too much going on..probably a good recipe but gotta go with Paul on this one!! For a bunch of less work you will have a good butt if you follow what Paul said!! :wsm:

I agree. Looks impressive on paper, but in real life, I think a simpler method would give equally good results.

Keeping in mind that this is a competition recipe, it's an interesting question (and one I ask myself all the time). You can not deny the results, as recipes like this have won on some of the biggest stages, but we know that simple bbq done well, can be very good too. My guess as to why recipes like this win: I believe that there's more to it then a long list of ingredients, and guys like APL can execute a perfect butt and all these supposed "layers of flavor" work, but aren't exactly why they win.

I've replicated several, extremely long comp recipes that come with extensive success, and they do well, but aren't sure fire winners.

Recipes this involved usually aren't my MO either when it comes to pork butts but I stumbled across the recipe and thought I'd share it. That being said involved recipes like this one are kind of like meditation for me. I like to unwind after a long work week by mixing up rubs, sauces, and injections. That and drinking beer. :wsm:

Back