CyberQ wifi on mini WSM

BobbyTuck

I know it's not necessary for 250F (or thereabouts), but I wanted to see if the CyberQ could help me get over 300F with my newly built mini WSM.

And sure enough -- it works great. I've got a load of trader joe's hardwood charcoal in the mini WSM with a spatchcocked chicken, and right now the CyberQ is telling me it's at 310F and climbing. I'm shooting for 325F or so -- but anything greater than 300 is fine with me. I've got the pit probe attached to the top grate in my mini and #1 food probe in one of the chicken breasts, and it's reading 310F in the pit, 145F in the breast. Been smoking now for about an hour.

I used the BBQ guru Weber adapter on my SJG (taping up one hole with the heat tape included with the tape, and screwing in the adapter in the other hole.) The other vent I originally had closed tight, but I opened it slightly to get increased airflow. I'm not sure I'll have much charcoal left when the cook is done -- it's been going for 60 mins (314F pit, 148F breast now), and I'm guessing it'll be done in another 15 mins or so.

I filled the SJG with a good amount of lump, used a chimney to start 15 chunks, and then poured the chunks in the SJG with a single piece of hickory -- smallish -- around 3" x 3". Fan output right now is 26% with the Pit Viper 10cm fan damper half open. I cut the bottom out my steamer out (with tin snips), put the steamer grate with the holes back in, then used a Walmart pizza pan (metal -- around 10") covered with aluminum foil as the heat damper.

I made babybacks this past weekend -- 4 hours with a full load of RO lump -- (without the CyberQ) and I was easily able to get to 270F and stay there for the whole four hours. Love the mini WSM!

Last edited:

Back