Baltimore Pit Beef

Gene Brownson

TVWBB All-Star
This is usually done with a top round. At the time I couldn't get one from my butcher. He talked me into the bottom round and promised that I wouldn't be disappointed, and boy was he right. This was my first attempt on a pit roast on the 26.75 OTG

3.5lb bottom round

Rub
2 tbsp season salt
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper

I put the rub on and wrapped it in plastic wrap for about 48 hours. I let it set out for about 1 1/2 hour before cranking up the CB gas grill and set it on high. I seared the outside, all the sides until thet were nice and dark and the flavor would be sealed in. While this was happening I fired up the kettle. After the sear which took about 15-20 minutes I placed it on the kettle fat side up. I cooked it on a high heat, around 400-425 for about an hour and a half. I checked the temp. with my NEW THEMAPEN, a life saver for a rookie like myself. I like it medium so I got lucky when I checked the temp. and found it was at 135. I pulled it off and wrapped it in aluminum foil and let rest for about an hour. Then I sliced it on the meat slicer. Put some on a bun with some good horse radish and spicy mustard. We had some left over for some great hot beef and gravy samiches :cool:

001.jpg

006.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

Hope you all enjoy! Obviously open to you own likins' and tastes :wsm:

Back